Hi looking to adopt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janine2566

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
Have a 1600 sq ft yard ready for 1 or more torts depending on size would like to adopt one or two that are needing of a good home with lots of sun and yummy plants and grass to eat on, and water for drinking and soaking. Located in Inland Empire, CA

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Are there any species you really would like or not like? Do you have any tortoise experience? If it were me, I'd be looking into the CA Desert Tortoise... I love them. :D Glad you here!

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Jacqui said:
Welcome! Are there any species you really would like or not like? Do you have any tortoise experience? If it were me, I'd be looking into the CA Desert Tortoise... I love them. :D Glad you here!

I agree because here in the inland empire we have predators so its good if they can burrow same with the sulcata. There are lots of sulcatas up for rescue because it got to big for people to take care of, unless that's to big for you. Wait are you looking for an adult, a juvenile, or a baby?

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Welcome!:)
I also suggest a CA Desert Tortoise or a Sulcata.
I live in the Inland Empire too so I always see the ads on craigslist where people are trying to find a home for a sulcata.
But if you want a smaller tort I suggest a russian, I also see a lot of them on craigslist.

Janine2566

5 Year Member
Southern CA
HipsterTorts said:
Welcome!:)
I also suggest a CA Desert Tortoise or a Sulcata.
I live in the Inland Empire too so I always see the ads on craigslist where people are trying to find a home for a sulcata.
But if you want a smaller tort I suggest a russian, I also see a lot of them on craigslist.

Desert, Sulcata, or a Russian in that order. I would prefer to have a juvenile or young adult would have to buy a lot of items for a baby and of course an adult would be fine. As to size my back yard could hold a Galopagos. The back fence is 4' of rebarred brick with 6' of wood on top of that with metal bars on the back side. I have a corner of the yard 6X12 set up for a smaller tortoise that would have run of the whole yard when we were home. I have filled out adoption papers with the CTTC but none seem to be available to adopt or there is a long waiting list. Had a tort for 10 yrs when I was younger but when I had to move gave it to my brother who still has it in Vegas 20 years later and do not want to take it back from him as now he has had it longer than me. I see all kinds of them on craigslist but people want to sell them, I am looking to adopt one that needs a home. I feel people who ask for money for a tortoise raise them to make money off of them and I want one that someday will go to my son who might end up giving it to his children. Torti are a multi-generational family pet.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Also keep in mind that a tortoise being sold may still need a better home. I had to pay $50 for my Craigslist Russian (she wanted $100). He was full grown, living in a 20 gallon tank, and had a horrendously overgrown beak and nails. No one else wanted him because he looked so awful in the ad photos, but he turned out to be pretty healthy once the vet fixed the beak and nails (though he's a rascally PITA).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Janine2566:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Do we call you "Janine?"

Byronie

5 Year Member
Chapel Hill, NC
Welcome to the forum! I have seen posts pop up for adoptions on the forum under the marketplace index. Not very often though... I'm sure that if you check often you will eventually find something. They don't last long though... So check often. If you are like me and are impatient as hell once you make up your mind then you may end up having to buy one ;) Good luck!

Janine2566

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Janine2566 said:
emysemys said:
Hi Janine2566:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Do we call you "Janine?"

Yes
Can someone tell me if this is DT or sulcata not that great at telling them apart yet
thanks Janine

Attachments

• tort.jpg
    tort.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 23

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I believe that is a sulcata, the pic isn't very big on my computer and it only got blurry as I made it bigger but I do think it's a sulcata..

Status
Not open for further replies.