Hi Guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

October

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I'm Katie. New to the whole tortoise mom thing. We live in San Tan Valley, AZ with a couple kids, a dog, a bunch of fish, etc.

I have what I was told was a Sulcata, but now appears to be a Russian? I was told she's 5 years old, plastron is 5" from front to back, 5.5" side to side. The was a language barrier from the previous owner, but she was previously indoors roaming the house, fed a "decent" diet of grocery produce and turtle food. The owner said she bathed her daily and insisted I use something called VitaShell on her, which seems to be a lotion-type gimmick. I haven't used it.

no65cp.jpg

14n1gzs.jpg

op6avq.jpg

I think Morla is a she? Maybe?
egqp2g.jpg

You can read about my current set-up here, where I had asked some questions: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...-environment-help-please?pid=243623#pid243623
I plan to let her graze and do what tortoises do.

I've attached some pictures. I had a couple of questions about her shell. It is very very green and seems to be peeling? Maybe this is just a sign of growth. Also on the plastron is something that looks like maybe an old injury and another that looks like a deep scratch. On the carapace there is a marginal scute that looks previously cracked. Any cause for concern? Nothing is squishy or soft.
2h6h8o8.jpg

288b1ow.jpg

2qmhsea.jpg

x0v9jn.jpg

35aszuu.jpg

Her nails are also seem long and uneven, or is it just me?
2weib11.jpg

We're happy to be here and hope to receive and give lots of great advise on our journey and meet a ton of good people.

28iswte.jpg

4iilo1.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
and great escape artists.. you have a really nice female, older russian..
build her a secure pen, one she cant climb out of or digg under.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie:

Yes, Morla is a girl. The nails are ok. The shell is ok. The beak could use a bit of filing. What you are seeing on the shell is the old part that grew while she was a wild tortoise. They come to this country looking pretty sad. All that smooth, greenish shell is the growing she has done while in captivity, and in a much better place than her wild country.

Russian tortoises will eat a bit of grass, but they much prefer broad-leaf leaves and weeds. Also if you allow her the whole yard you'll probably lose her. It would be good to fence off a portion of the yard for her. She is an adult and won't be getting much bigger.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome, beautiful big girl you have there. Most definitely much older than 5 years at that size.

Peacebone

5 Year Member
AZ
Definitely looks to be an older female. Russian tortoises are excellent diggers so it is best to put a barrier under their enclosure so they don't dig out. Looks healthy and being taken care of very well. I also live in AZ and keep my Russians outdoors for most of the year. Provide lots of shade in the summer and constant access to water. In the winter they hibernate so either allow them to dig down and do it themselves or you can hibernate them artificially indoors. Thanks for the pics she is a beautiful tortoise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Welcome to both you and that lovely older female you care for. :D Looks like she has had a rough life in the wild. I think everybody has given you most of the very basics, so all I will do is just reinforce the welcome to our family part. :cool::tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.