Hi from the High Desert

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
I am curious though??? If you mind me asking---just let me know to mind my own business, no feelings will be hurt; you say you are afforded the opportunity to be in the desert for long periods of time alone for your employment....what is it that you do?
Well I don’t want to give too many details about my job on the internet. I’ll just say I went to college and worked a long time of a very labor intense and unsatisfying job to get here. It is the job that I always wanted and spent a good portion of my life working toward. I love my job and there are a lot of people who would do anything to take it from me.

I get to enjoy climbing mountains in 6 ft of snow with snow shoes and walking through the desert among wild desert tortoises along with other wild life like coyotes, mountain lions, bob cats and bears. I cover all of Antelope Valley as well as the surrounding mountains and all of northern San Bernardino County all the way to the state line.

I even enjoy seeing rattlesnakes even though I did get bit in the back of my boot once with a very large Mohave Green that would have surely killed me if it would have been an inch higher on my boot. In fact I came across a rattle snake just today and I tried to get a photo of it, but it disappeared into the brush before I could get my camera out of my pocket. I didn’t have my snake boots on so I left it alone.

I also run across people in the desert, some are very colorful characters as well as some pretty scary ones that add a little excitement to my job. I have been pretty lucky because there are murders all the time in the desert.

I put in many hours behind the windshield and I prefer to work alone because you have to have the right chemistry to be cooped up with someone that long. I had a coworker/partner once and I admit that we had a lot of fun, but she got offered a promotion and took it. I’m happy to be alone as long as I have a cell phone and can go home to my family each night.;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Sure sounds like a Fish & Game Warden or State Trooper to me......but no need to pry any further about that subject.....;) Having fun with it was fun enough.....lol...

And those Mojave Greens are tenacious buggers for sure.....well, unless you stumble across them before they charge up with the sun....