Hi From FLORIDA!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Hey Everyone!

I am a very very new tortoise owner! I just recently bought a 3 month old Sulcata at my local Repticon. I have always had a fascination for large tortoises and also they are very cute and sweet! I have only had him/her for two days. I haven't named it yet because I havent thought of a fitting name so if you have suggestions go ahead and please post them! I consider my tortoise a boy dont know why I just get the vibe :) Also if you have any helpful tips on how to take care of them that would be appreciated. Also I have bought books, done research, and all of that but if there are certain foods they favor that would be great to know! Also I was wondering how many times I should feed him fresh greens a week? I bought grassland tortoise food so thats always in his bowl but he doesn't like to eat it so I always have greens in his cage with supplement powder sprinkled on top. Also I heard that I should soak him only once a week is that right I rather have you guys share your opinion on that.The substrate I have is coconut husk mulch because I heard sand isn't good for younger tortoises. Also I have 2 pet greyhounds and a foster greyhound that still have know clue he exist and two pet cats that are also clueless Thank Gosh for having lazy pets! I heard Sulcata Tortoises dont mix weill with dogs but I love my dogs and my baby Tortoise and I know I cant get rid of either so please help me with that situation! Thank you in advance! Also here is a pick of my little guy asleep in his food bowl :D

Attachments

• 006a.JPG
    006a.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 36

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
OMG...That is the cutest pic...I think i am going to make a scrap book of cute tort pics do you mind if i use it? So cute. I have a 40 pound sulcata he is a gentle giant! He eats right out of my hand and comes to his name when i call him. Love him to pieces. They are great! Enjoy! This site is amazing!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Marty333 said:
Also do Sulcata's form strong bonds with their owners if so how long does it take?

Yes! And it's even stronger when you raise them from as young as you are doing...but it won't become real evident for a few years.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Marty333:

Welcome to the forum!!

(Dean: I love your new signature pictures!)

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Lol, I am glad to know my baby isn't the only one who loves sleeping on his food plate! Good luck with your little one, make sure you check out the sulcata section of the forum :)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Welcome! You've found the right place!
These folks know Sulcatas!

I'll second Dean's Link.

I DON'T know Sulcatas, but what I do know about them is to follow that link and ignore everything else, cuz everything else is wrong!

of course that's my uneducated opinion and ymmv :)

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Balboa said:
Welcome! You've found the right place!
These folks know Sulcatas!

I'll second Dean's Link.

I DON'T know Sulcatas, but what I do know about them is to follow that link and ignore everything else, cuz everything else is wrong!

of course that's my uneducated opinion and ymmv :)

I am now thinking thats probably the best option haha!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a cutie! Welcome to the world of tortoises. Are the dogs retired racers?

I use the coir with a bit of play sand myself on all my babies and I love it. If your little guy is kept well hydrated you should not have a problem with the sand. Also helps if you feed on something other then the substrate, which your already doing by the sounds of it.

Glad to know you have done your reading and I hope you continue to do so, as we learn more every day about their needs and no one site or sheet could cover it all. Life with these guys is a source of constant learning, rearranging and most of all, fun!

Glad your here!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Didn't catch this the first time around...I would love to see pictures of your hounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.