Hi! And a few questions...

TortoiseTeatime

Today is my birthday!
IMG_4461.JPG

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, I've had my baby sulcata about 9 months now, 'his' name is Mr. Spock.

Questions:
-I've seen a lot of information about what to feed, but not how much to feed. I read something online that said if you feed too much they could split their shells? So I've been a little paranoid about feeding too much, but he also seems small for his age. Anyone have any advice on how much to feed?

-I've been leaving clean water available 24/7 for him to soak in and drink, what age/size can I start switching him to occasional soaks?

Thanks!

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome to you and Mr. Spock , if you go here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/sulcata-tortoises.88/ and read the "sticky" posts at the top it should help you . I think at the age of 9 months shell splitting isn't an issue. I always give Speedy a little more than he can eat , this may mean re-filling his food dish more than once. He should have clean water available 24/7 . I still soak Speedy for 1 hour a day , in a tub of warm water and he is aprox 1 1/2 years and weighs 1 Lb. 4 oz,s at his last weigh in ! :)

Here is a recent pic
picture.php

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum to you and your cute little tort.:)

Please read the "beginners mistake thread" as well as different care sheets. And...do NOT hesitate to ask any question whenever in doubt. You will get the help you need.

Gook luck!:D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
I was advised to imagine the shell as an upturned dish and give enough food to fill it, If the tort eats all, give more, if he leaves some feed less. Mr Spock is gorgeous!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and welcome.
I was advised to imagine the shell as an upturned dish and give enough food to fill it, If the tort eats all, give more, if he leaves some feed less. Mr Spock is gorgeous!
Oh yes he is! ;)

I do exactly what you mentioned with Oli when it comes to food. However, I still have to hand feed him....spoiled brat! :<3: