Hey I'm Ayosh .. One of a kind ;)

Siga1

Location (City and/or State)
السعودية - القصيم - الخبراء
Hello, my tortoise's name is Ayosh (An old female arabic name), which I think gives her (I assumed it's her :p) a special character. I've had her since at least 7-8 years. She never drinks water. Most of her meals are composed of lettuce and sometimes cucumber. I've always looked for another similar tortoise so they can mate and have more fun I guess, but I rarely even see a similar breed here in Saudi Arabia (The middle east). We mostly find Turtles.
Here's a picture of her from last month :)
I am not sure how to estimate her age or her gender. I've read some articles before, but I'm not conclusive yet :)
C360_2014-12-05-13-43-36-002.jpg C360_2014-12-05-13-44-33-640.jpg

puffy137

She/he looks very healthy, I'm sure you will be able to obtain answers to all your questions. I have all Greeks , I think yours might be a Hermann, but others more expert than me will soon tell you . I am in the middle east too. so is Abdulla. Try to take a photo of the underside of the shell & how many front claws ( nails) does it have ?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
im so a newbie so I will let the others answer. :) i'm thinking male? but i have been know to be wrong about things several times a day :)

puffy137

If the shell is concave its a male , it its flat its a female . Hard to tell from the photo . HELP HELP . WHERE IS YVONNE WHEN WE NEED HER :(:(:(

Siga1

السعودية - القصيم - الخبراء
She/he looks very healthy, I'm sure you will be able to obtain answers to all your questions. I have all Greeks , I think yours might be a Hermann, but others more expert than me will soon tell you . I am in the middle east too. so is Abdulla. Try to take a photo of the underside of the shell & how many front claws ( nails) does it have ?

Thank you for replying :)
At least four front nails/claws

here's another picture of her LONG tail, and that's why I assumed it's a female

IMG_20150112_212319.jpg
IMG_20150112_212319.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
If you want to get a second tortoise, you should also have a second enclosure. It's difficult to keep a pair because often the male won't leave the female alone and causes her a lot of stress.

Also, if you want to breed, you have to find a male of the same subspecies as your Ayosh (or else the babys would be hybrids, that's not desirable).

puffy137

Right the cavalry have arrived , Tordadise will give you an expert opinion on the sex , the species & the age , I'm sure.:D:D:D