Hey guys!

Sariss

Location (City and/or State)
Collingwood, Ontario
Hello!
My husband and I just took home a 4 month old Red Foot Tortoise, who we have named Humphrey (but his nickname is PopTart).
I am excited to be a part of this group, and learn new things about how to care for him (or her) properly! He currently is set up in a Zoomed Tortoise House, which I understand is not ideal as they get bigger. We will probably only have it for a year or so before "upgrading" to something bigger, probably an overturned bookshelf or whatnot. I have read a lot of helpful threads here that I hope will set us (and him!) up for success.
Here's a picture of Humphrey, on his ride home from where we got him!
1e9ht2.jpg

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
welcome we have a lot of redfoot owners myself being one if you have any questions try looking through the red foot section of the forum or just ask =)

Sariss

Collingwood, Ontario
I have been doing a lot of reading, but I find a lot of conflicing information. What is your feeding routine (how much/often/what you give exactly). I've heard a few people say feed daily for the younger guys, others say less than that. Do you find http://redfootbreeder.com/ to be a reliable source of information?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
eh sort of they have some good info but some of there things are big sticklers on debated topics like the whole 60% fruit diet i feel is a little much yes red foots eat fruit in the wild if it's fallen but in captivity 60% seems to be a bit much but like i said that's something that's been debated a lot

my guy is in a closed chamber he gets spring mix daily when he's a year old i'll cut back he gets fruit a piece about the size of his head once a week and animal protein once a month i give him a hard boiled egg which i've taken the whites off and give just the yolk his temps never drop below 80 same with his humidity if you want a nice smooth tort humidity should be around 80% my night time temps drop to about 80 day time temp's is 84-85 with a normal house hold light as a basking spot makes it about 89 under the light for uvb i use a fluorescent UVB tube red foot's don't like bright lights, i'm no expert so wait for other's to chime in this is just what i do and it work's for me

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. It is great to have you (and your husband) here. This is a Great place to learn and share.

Welcome.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello people welcome to the TFO from AZ . Have a great tort day. ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

One of our members put together some good info on RF tortoises. You can find it here:

Tortoise Library