Hey eyes are still closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!!!!
So Genevieve's eyes are still pretty much ways closed. She is moving around almost normal and I think she is eating at night when I don't see because her foods pushed around and she does pee and poop but her eyes are still always closed. As you know she is not dehydrated. Is there any other reason why she would do this? I don't think she's in pain either. I hope she doesn't have her eyes closed forever. Anyone hear of this happening?
Thanks in advance everyone xoxoxo

Britt

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corfu, Greece
Could this be a reaction to the type of light you have or it being too close to her area? Someone with more knowledge of indoor set-ups will be able to advise you on here..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, please re-fresh everyone's memory with your lighting so they can better help you without having to search previous post to figure it out. Glad she is doing good other than her eyes not opening. Hopefully some one on here can get that figured out.:D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Britt,
There are a number of factors that could be related to your torts eyes. Could you post some pictures of your enclosure for us? I use Tinypic.com - no membership and it's very easy to use. We'd also like to hear:
1. What type of bulb(s) you are using?
2. The substrate in your enclosure?
3. Is there a water dish in the enclosure?
4. High and low Temps + Humidity?
5. Age and species of your tortoise?

Any bubbles at the nostrils?

alzeal

5 Year Member
Southern CA, USA
I had the same thing happen to me, was using a coil UVB lamp. Good thing for this forum, tossed it and got a mercury vapor bulb.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
No that's all fine... UVB sun mercury vapor 160 whatt bulbs. Yes water dish. She is soaked daily, 75-85 cool side, 90-100 hot side and basking. Humidity is about 85-98 lots of shady spots and hides. Her eyes don't open under her Chee light or hides eaither and she's not dehydrated.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
are you sure she is eating? trying something that smells really good.. or just spraying the greens with like a fruit jiuce to get her to eat them..

M

Maggie Cummings

I think 160 watts is pretty strong for an indoor habitat. Do her eyes look red and irritated? Have you tried using Terramycin eye ointment?

Brittany6

5 Year Member
I'll trying the fruit juice spray. No her eyes are not red or swollen. She has ointment for her eyes that the vet have me that I have been putting on as a precaution. I think it has vit A in it as well as antibiotic

Tom didn't seem concerns with the wattage of bulb when I asked before. Like I said lots of hides and she doesn't open them even at night with her other bulb

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you turn off the 160 watt for a day or so without losing temps and see if what Maggie3fan said might be it?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Do her eyes open under any conditions?
I would feed one small piece of food, and see if it looks eaten after the day.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
They did 3 days ago for a second while she was soaked but they closed up right away. Okay... I'll leave one price of food in there and see if she eats it. I really don't think she is though.. But can she continue to poop every few days if she doesn't eat?

M

Maggie Cummings

Brittany6 said:
I'll trying the fruit juice spray. No her eyes are not red or swollen. She has ointment for her eyes that the vet have me that I have been putting on as a precaution. I think it has vit A in it as well as antibiotic

Tom didn't seem concerns with the wattage of bulb when I asked before. Like I said lots of hides and she doesn't open them even at night with her other bulb

Tom doesn't have to agree with me. *I* think the bulb has too much wattage for a small inside habitat.
I don't know what you mean by "fruit juice spray". Terramycin eye ointment is a good ointment and if your Vet has prescribed some ointment you should be putting it in her eyes 2 or 3 times a day.
Now I haven't seen the size of your habitat or heard from you just how big it is, but I know *I* wouldn't use a bulb that big in any of my indoor habitats and I have several that would hold 250 gallons.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I agree with maggie, 160 watt powersun is not ment for a hatchling, How close do you have this bulb to your tort? 160 watt bulb should be atleast 18 inches away. i would say you need a 100 watt, also what kinda fixture do you have this in? is the reflective part look like chrome or is it dull? You need a dull one as the chrome ones cause too much glare, imagine having a 160 watt bulb shining in your face with a chrome reflector around it.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
I already went though this with the bulb weeks ago and kept it off for 3 days and it isn't the bulb, it is a dull ceramic bulb holder. It is 2 feet from the bottom in hight. If people read before they posted they would have answears to there questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It would be easier also if people would post the problems within the same situation in the same post, but they don't. Everyone is just trying to help. Some might not know there were previous post. In fact if everyone searched their question they would probably find an earlier post that answers that question. However as new people join, they just ask instead of search. As I did and I am sure you did. Hope it all turns out good for her and you. :D

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Brittany, don't get discouraged. These are people that are surfing the threads, they have not been following you and your baby from day one. I agree- no one should comment unless they know the whole story... You are doing a great job, you are doing everything right, she will open her eyes just give her some more time keep stoaking and force feeding and don't even comment on those who have opinions if you don't like them...lol...

Brittany6

5 Year Member
No I appreciate opinions and I understand that not everyone has fallowed my story, what annoys me is that in THIS thread, I already answered the questions but people just post and not read the comments. I'll just ignore it. I just wish I knew if there was some kind of disease where eyes don't open or of anyone ever heard of sulcata's staying with there eyes closed perminatly. As always thanks for the support and help!!! Xoxox and yes I searched this on this forum and online before I asked the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.