Eyes closed

Rick Lister

Hi

My baby Sulcata which we have had since April has suddenly been keeping its eyes closed most of the time. It is still eating and does tend to have them open more when I have it out in the garden but when inside its enclosure keeps them closed.

Any ideas?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I'm thinking a bulb as well since they're open outside what type are you using?

Rick Lister

Hi

It's a Arcadia UV-A UV-B 25 watt straight bulb on a timer for 12 hours a day. I also have a red spot which turns on and off throughout the day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the length of your arcadia bulb?

Red bulbs are no good and having the "sun" turn off and on all day is less than ideal.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

I think these will help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Where are you? Does the tortoise get outside for real sunshine ever? What substrate are you using? What does the tortoise weigh?

Rick Lister

It's a 30" bulb

The cool side is currently ( heat bulb currently off ) 70 and overnight around 60.

I put it out in the garden when it's sunny and bring it in before it gets cold.

Currently on beech chippings.

I'm in Lincoln.

Not sure of weight but it's definitely grown since April

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rick, and welcome to the Forum!

May I know what you are feeding your tortoise? And do you have hiding places in the indoor area so he can get out of the harsh light?

Rick Lister

Hiya, yes there's a hiding area in the cool end

Grass, dandelion leaves, spinach leaves, lettuce, kale, cabbage leaves. I try to vary it quite a bit and it has a cuttlefish bone in there but doesn't touch it as a rule.

Should I put the heat lamp on for 12 hours and reduce the UV light maybe?

I've just ordered some cypress mulch to keep it more humid in there

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You should replace your red bulb with a ceramic heat transmitter. They don't produce any light and last a long time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's a 30" bulb

The cool side is currently ( heat bulb currently off ) 70 and overnight around 60.

I put it out in the garden when it's sunny and bring it in before it gets cold.

Currently on beech chippings.

I'm in Lincoln.

Not sure of weight but it's definitely grown since April

This are a tropical species. They hatch at the start of the African rainy season. Its hot, humid, and there are puddles and marshes everywhere. This is NOT a temperate species and cannot successfully be kept like one.

70 is far too cold. Your lucky he is still a live if he's been kept at 60 overnight.

I'm not sure where Lincoln is, but I'm going to guess you are in the UK based on the products you are using. Not and easy climate to keep tropical tortoises in.

The information you need to get your baby back to health is in the links above. I hope we can convince you to read them and use the info.

Please post a pic of the tortoise and enclosure so that we may be better able to assist you.

Rick Lister

Have had the heat lamp on all night and all day and the temp in there is sitting at 80 now, have added a heat mat on a thermostat and it's made a huge difference. I've also ordered a ceramic heat bulb.
He's walking around and his eyes are open lots more now Just awaiting the new substrate which should keep it more humid but I did dampen the chippings this morning and there's condensation on the glass now

Thanks for all the advice

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19