Hey everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Dude

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
Hey everyone,

I am Bryan and I just got my first tortoise over the weekend. He/she is a baby cherryhead named Sam. I had red-ear sliders in the past growing up so, I am pretty excited to have a pet tortoise now. I been planning on getting this little guy for a while. I ended up making an indoor tortoise table few months ago and so far it looks like a good home for him. Here are some pictures of Sam.

Tortoise_005 by Bryan Theriot, on Flickr

Tortoise_006 by Bryan Theriot, on Flickr

Tortoise_004 by Bryan Theriot, on Flickr

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Welcome to the forum Bryan. Good looking table,but I have one suggestion. You probably will have to make a top for it to keep the humidity up. Redfoots like a lot of humidity and it will help prevent his shell from pyramiding.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
jackrat said:
Welcome to the forum Bryan. Good looking table,but I have one suggestion. You probably will have to make a top for it to keep the humidity up. Redfoots like a lot of humidity and it will help prevent his shell from pyramiding.

I second this ^^
That enclosure is awesome though...
And what a beuatiful red colour he has...
also...
Welcome enjoy your stay! :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Welcome to the forum, Bryan! Good luck with you little Red Foot! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Very nice! If your not wanting to do a top, because of aesthetics or whatever, there are a few other things you could do. They require a bit more everyday work, but it would work. Simple things like keep some moist long strand sphagnum moss within his hide. Spray him (and his enclosure) down several times a day. Keep the entire room's humidity level up. Even if you could just lay a clear covering over one end, that will help greatly too. Is he having any trouble getting in and out of his water? Just checking. :D
You did a great job of creating his little world! Love the plants and the varying surface levels. :D Welcome to the forum. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bryan:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!! I love your tort table...and Sam's not bad-looking either! :D

Random Dude

10 Year Member!
Houston, TX
Thanks everyone

jackrat - said:
I originally was thinking about having a top however, it’s pretty humid where I am. Just with misting the table twice a day it can easily stays around 75- 80%. I not too worry about the humidity level right now but I am keeping an eye on it. Most likely I’ll end up adding one later if I have any problems.

Jacqui - said:
Is he having any trouble getting in and out of his water? Just checking.
Actually I was worry about the water bowl and going to change it out with a small dish but then I saw Sam just slide right in and crawl back out without any trouble.

Random Dude

10 Year Member!
Houston, TX
Thanks for the welcome everyone

I have a question. I just got home and was getting ready to soak Sam until I got a good look at the bottom of his shell. I not sure if it should look like this or if I should be concerned?

IMG_9132_0006 by Bryan Theriot, on Flickr

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you think he might be starting to get a bit of fungus or shell rot, you should cut back on the moisture in the substrate and dab a bit of athlete's foot cream on the spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.