HI! New To The Forum but NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hi! Sry to start off like this but I live in Southern California and own some nice young Leopard Tortoises. Well one of mine is very inactive and does not seem to eat. His eyes are always shut and Ive been going through this forum for answers. Well to answer some questions, the temps in my enclosure are 75 cool side and 100 under the basking light on the other side. In the middle of the enclosure is a CHE that keeps the heat in the middle in the 90s. The substrate is a mix of coco coir and cyprus mulch. His pyramiding was already there when I got him 3 months ago. He has been like this for more than a week now. I do not have enough money for a vet visit. I asked for a quote from the hero doc here and he said for a visit, blood sample, etc. it would go up to 300+. I just graduated college and dont have that cash to spare :( Well ive been trying to keep him hydrated and warm. Because he asnt been eating ive given him forced soaks with Muzuri mush and Repashy vitamin powder mixed in the water so he get get nutrients. I notice he has been drinking the stuff while in the soak but I dont see him eating the mush. I recently put him in a tank to separate him from my other leos. Hes in my room with a heat mat to keep the tank heated. Any tips would be greatly helped and I dont mind criticizm cuz mistakes are made so I can learn from them. Please help my Leo out!

-Paulo

Here are a lot of pics of my Leo and kinda what Ive been doing:

Enclosure with the others:
8410104572_1db64a73ef.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0997 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]

My Leo. Not opening his eyes
8410103178_7275185d0e.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0998 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]
8410101500_d8c255bbc8.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0999 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]
8410100414_477136aec2.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1001 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]

Arial view
8409003663_c250221c07.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1002 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]
8409001965_699624f7c6.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1003 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]
8409000219_afcd6ba9b7.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1004 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]

Mush soak. He was dinking then he bagan to open his eyes
8408999089_ea5fae817c.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1005 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]
8408997709_6060486066.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1006 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]
8408996455_2c3b79732f.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1007 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]
8410089926_08494d05f9.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1008 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]
8408992035_5b43fb1cac.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1010 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]
8410085880_4ddf9dfb90.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1013 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]

His separate temporary enclosure
8410084286_79c302c816.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1014 by Paulo102212, on Flickr[/img]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you by chance are using any coil type bulbs, get them out right away. I would also try some puréed baby food soaks. I jar to enough warm water that come upto where his top and bottom shell meets. Also might want to try this one this thread
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-41739.html Keep him warm and separate from the rest. You might also want to realize some just don't make it. Try what you can for him and with fingers crossed and good vibes coming your way, hopefully he will pull through.

Paulo

5 Year Member
SoCal
wellington said:
If you by chance are using any coil type bulbs, get them out right away. I would also try some puréed baby food soaks. I jar to enough warm water that come upto where his top and bottom shell meets. Also might want to try this one this thread
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-41739.html Keep him warm and separate from the rest. You might also want to realize some just don't make it. Try what you can for him and with fingers crossed and good vibes coming your way, hopefully he will pull through.

Thank you and no I dont use coil bulbs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most usual cause of shut eyes in baby tortoises are heat (not warm enough) and moisture (too dry), with not eating being right up there with those two reasons.

Using a small tub or bowl with high sides and a small floor space, put in a jar of Gerber strained carrots and mix that with warm water until it comes up to the middle of the baby's sides (the bridge is where the top meets the bottom). Leave him soaking in this mixture for at least a half hour. You can place a light over one end of the bowl to keep it a bit warm. But keep checking on the tortoise to be sure he hasn't tipped over. After about three days of doing this soak, you should start to see an improvement. It has to do with vitamin A, not eating, being too cool, etc.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Uggg, I hope what Barb and Yvonne have said will help your little one out! Just wondering, does he show any signs of being sick, like bubbles coming out of his nose? I sure hope he makes it, nothing sinks my heart faster then reading of a beautiful baby tort passing on. I wish you and baby the very best!! Please keep us posted if you would...

Paulo

5 Year Member
SoCal
cemmons12 said:
Uggg, I hope what Barb and Yvonne have said will help your little one out! Just wondering, does he show any signs of being sick, like bubbles coming out of his nose? I sure hope he makes it, nothing sinks my heart faster then reading of a beautiful baby tort passing on. I wish you and baby the very best!! Please keep us posted if you would...

Thank you! Other than not eating, closed eyes, and laziness, there is nothing else. No bubbles, gasping, etc. He does yawn a lot though

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
emysemys said:
The most usual cause of shut eyes in baby tortoises are heat (not warm enough) and moisture (too dry), with not eating being right up there with those two reasons.

Using a small tub or bowl with high sides and a small floor space, put in a jar of Gerber strained carrots and mix that with warm water until it comes up to the middle of the baby's sides (the bridge is where the top meets the bottom). Leave him soaking in this mixture for at least a half hour. You can place a light over one end of the bowl to keep it a bit warm. But keep checking on the tortoise to be sure he hasn't tipped over. After about three days of doing this soak, you should start to see an improvement. It has to do with vitamin A, not eating, being too cool, etc.

Spot on with this regime. I use pedialyte baby electrolyte to this regime as well the baby food. I notice in the first photo the stucco and sliding glass door. Is the enclosure outside 24hr? This will be a main source of issue with spike in temperatures, dryness of substrate, and your misting the enclosure down will exacerbate an upper respiratory infection. If you can keep him inside do the soaks as mentions by Yvonne. Keep him in an 85 degree minimum temp set up for at least the end of winter. I would halt the spraying the enclosure until this issue subsides as well. You can get a humidifier at Walgreen's for around $20 that will really help with humidity without wet substrate.

mayday29150

5 Year Member
We just did a carrot bath on a friends sick yellow foot adult. And she drank it up. It was pedi light carrot juice and water (oxbow) we did not have. Not sure of this is ok for baby tortoise or not. Others will say I guess

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
mayday29150 said:
We just did a carrot bath on a friends sick yellow foot adult. And she drank it up. It was pedi light carrot juice and water (oxbow) we did not have. Not sure of this is ok for baby tortoise or not. Others will say I guess

It is safe for any herbivore.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
tortadise said:
Spot on with this regime. I use pedialyte baby electrolyte to this regime as well the baby food. I notice in the first photo the stucco and sliding glass door. Is the enclosure outside 24hr? This will be a main source of issue with spike in temperatures, dryness of substrate, and your misting the enclosure down will exacerbate an upper respiratory infection. If you can keep him inside do the soaks as mentions by Yvonne. Keep him in an 85 degree minimum temp set up for at least the end of winter. I would halt the spraying the enclosure until this issue subsides as well. You can get a humidifier at Walgreen's for around $20 that will really help with humidity without wet substrate.

I keep mine outside 24/7 as well. What would you suggest to keep the temps more consistent?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Paulo:

The reason for the carrot baby food is it has a high concentration of vitamin A. I wouldn't dilute it with apple juice. Try to find strained baby food carrots.

Status
Not open for further replies.