Hey All! Thank you.

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I just wanted to thank you all for all you have done here. I am new here, just trying to learn more about tortoises. They are fascinating creatures and I cannot stop thinking about them after seeing some in a local zoo. I am thinking about adopting a tortoise if the opportunity arises around me. I have even gone as far as measuring out space in my yard and planning a habitat. I don’t want to support breeding so I am going to wait to help someone who can’t take care of their tortoise anymore. It may be awhile but I’ll keep saving up for that moment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

There's nothing wrong with supporting tortoise breeding. There are a couple species that are plentiful and might be found at rescues, but most other species come from captive breeding. And if you watch our For Sale and Adoptions threads, you may come up with something from one of our members.

Arkansas
I wasn’t trying to bash breeding. I just figure there are plenty of tortoises out there that will need a home one day, and people that will need the burden lifted from them. If I can do that instead of buying one, I would prefer it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First, I want to welcome you.

There is nothing wrong with adopting a tortoise in need of a home, but there is also nothing wrong with captive breeding. It struck me funny to hear this. 30 years ago "wild caught" was the wrong thing to do. Now it seems like some people are going toward "breeding" being a bad thing. If it weren't for breeders, many species would be extinct. Not just tortoise species. I can't see why you would not want to support breeding. The more we breed the fewer that will have to be taken from the wild to meet the demand, and without captive breeders, there wouldn't be any tortoises for you to adopt.

In any case, is there a species that particularly interests you? You've come to the right place for good tortoise info. Much of the info circulating around out in the world for tortoise care is old, out-dated, and just plain wrong.

Arkansas
I don’t mind breeding. I would rather spend my time and money helping someone and their animal who needs to be out of a particular situation than I would rather buying an animal outright, whether it was bred or wild caught. I don’t know what species interests me most. Russians seem cool. Sulcatas seem awesome, but I think I would prefer something I could pick up and move in an emergency situation. I still have a lot of research to do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don’t mind breeding. I would rather spend my time and money helping someone and their animal who needs to be out of a particular situation than I would rather buying an animal outright, whether it was bred or wild caught. I don’t know what species interests me most. Russians seem cool. Sulcatas seem awesome, but I think I would prefer something I could pick up and move in an emergency situation. I still have a lot of research to do.
Well good luck choosing! Most of us end up with a bunch of them. If you want someone to talk you out of getting lots of tortoises, you've come to the WRONG place! :p We are a bunch of enablers here, and if you are already out measuring and planning an enclosure, then you've already got the bug.

Arkansas
We are a bunch of enablers here, and if you are already out measuring and planning an enclosure, then you'v already got the bug.
Oof. I was hoping you all would be like bird people and tell me why I don’t need an umbrella cockatoo, which I would ignore and buy one anyway.

Arkansas
I would recommend one of the Mediterranean tortoises, like a russian. They stay small, cute, and do not need nearly as much space.
Thank you. Russians are some of the first I have seen that may have been the spark to wanting one. Are there any species that max out between 50 and 100 pounds?

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Thank you. Russians are some of the first I have seen that may have been the spark to wanting one. Are there any species that max out between 50 and 100 pounds?
Between? That is a very big number. Redfoots are around 20 maybe 30. Leopards around 30. Russians do not get much bigger than 5.

Arkansas
A Sulcata can get up to 300.
That is the one thing that gives me pause with these. For some reason I feel like I would need to pick my buddy up to run away from tornadoes or something. Which is kind of irrational since I have lived in tornado states my whole life and have never had that scenario happen.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Russians are a ton of fun in a teeny shell. I've never regretted getting mine even after 12 years. I actually chose that species because of how easy and forgiving it is as a first tortoise. But really they are still a hand full. You'll have to learn how to out think a monkey.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
First, I want to welcome you.

There is nothing wrong with adopting a tortoise in need of a home, but there is also nothing wrong with captive breeding. It struck me funny to hear this. 30 years ago "wild caught" was the wrong thing to do. Now it seems like some people are going toward "breeding" being a bad thing. If it weren't for breeders, many species would be extinct. Not just tortoise species. I can't see why you would not want to support breeding. The more we breed the fewer that will have to be taken from the wild to meet the demand, and without captive breeders, there wouldn't be any tortoises for you to adopt.

In any case, is there a species that particularly interests you? You've come to the right place for good tortoise info. Much of the info circulating around out in the world for tortoise care is old, out-dated, and just plain wrong.
Amen! Without reputable breeders what would happen to them??? People seem to be crying about lack of habitat on the one hand and screaming about wild caught on the other. Whatever. The animals need all the help they can get.

Arkansas
Russians are a ton of fun in a teeny shell. I've never regretted getting mine even after 12 years. I actually chose that species because of how easy and forgiving it is as a first tortoise. But really they are still a hand full. You'll have to learn how to out think a monkey.?
I will strongly consider this. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is the one thing that gives me pause with these. For some reason I feel like I would need to pick my buddy up to run away from tornadoes or something. Which is kind of irrational since I have lived in tornado states my whole life and have never had that scenario happen.
Female sulcatas usually top out around 80 pounds. They seldom get larger than that. That might be an option.