He's so gross

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I frequently find my baby RF eating his own poop. I also noticed lately that he is peeing in his food dish. Is this normal? It sure is gross.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I THINK that when they eat their poop it is just recycling. They can get some more nutrients out if it. As for the peeing while eating, it is my OPINION that the food might be pretty wet. They usually pee when they drink, so if he's eating a lot of...say...lettuce, which is mostly water, then he will pee.

Yvonne

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
big_red_tortoise said:
I frequently find my baby RF eating his own poop. I also noticed lately that he is peeing in his food dish. Is this normal? It sure is gross.

You mean no one ever told you Redfoot [ and my Star ] tortoises are POOP-EATING reptiles? NOT Ming vases!

There's nothing gross about that.. be thankful that he's normally healthy!

TK

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
Hmm... just think like this... Since we use cow manuer for fertilizer, why aren't tort poops recyclable? They both eat grass and hays or veggies...??? (Yeah, I think it's unpleasant too, but what can we do?) :)

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Torotises are gross! They do eat a lot of poop. Its funny mine eat poop but they wont eat carrots...

Status
Not open for further replies.