He's gone

tortgirl123

My tortoise is gone. I put him in my outdoor enclosure and after dinner I went to go check on him, and he was gone. Just gone. I checked EVERYWHERE! We dug up everything. We walked the perimeter, and area of the yard. Really sad right now... Praying that he didn't get taken by something or someone, and he'll show up.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
They're pretty good at hiding and digging deep, hopefully you'll get some warm weather and he'll pop out tomorrow! ( fingers crossed for you)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Is this outdoor enclosure in your backyard? Can a stranger walk-in without notice? Or it is a no fencing/open yard?

If not, then he still out there. Hoses down some water may flush him out under the bushes or deep grass. Or you need to get down to your hands and knee to feel him ou(Tom suggested this to another member) Best wishes.

tortgirl123

We lock our fence. There's no way he could've gotten past the brick. Either he's way deep in the ground cause we tried to gentle dig up almost three to four inches and couldn't find him. Or something took him.mi don't know what could've, there's no big birds or cats. He should show up tomorrow if everything goes accordingly. Thanks for the wishes. ☺️

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Could he have dug under the bricks? Look first thing when the sun comes out tomorrow. He will probably be out baskng. Good luck, fingers crossed. Keep us posted.

M

Maggie Cummings

You need to pretend you are a tortoise and look for him on your hands and knees. If that does not work, go out in the morning when the sun starts to shine and look where he 'might' be basking trying to warm up. You've got to figure, if he can't escape and was not stolen, he's still there somewhere. Do you have any predators? Or Hawks or Eagles that might have taken him? Don't give up, I once lost a box turtle for the whole winter, then a gardener mowing the lot next to mine in the Spring found him against the fence warming up. He was gone for about 5 months...

tortgirl123

He couldn't have gotten under the bricks because we put a barrier about four inches deep into the ground.I've seen a couple hawks very rarely. We've set up a basking light out there just in case he turns up tonight and can't get warm

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The main thing is not to give up. Second remember these guys can turn invisible or into rocks at will (I swear they can :) ). Most often they get under a clump of grass/bush/weed and seem to melt into them. This is one of the reasons these animals have survived in the wild for so long. So just keep looking, especially when the sun is first out to warm them up. Sometimes (if there hasn't been much rain in your area) placing the sprinklers on will get some of them up and out.

I can't recall what is he and how big?

tortgirl123

We found Hercules he was outside. We could not find him at all in his outdoor enclosure. He burrowed and stayed under ground all night. He must have been VERY cold! My parents found him about an hour and a half ago. He's warming up under a basking light. I haven't touched him. He's very lethargic. I need immediate help! Do I soak him?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Better yet! Soak him under the sun!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What were your temps last night?

A soak might help, but remain calm. It gets cold at night where they come from. He should be fine.

tortgirl123

About in the 40s. He has some drool or bubbles coming out of his mouth and pooped all over himself. I think his eyes are a bit swollen. Just a soak?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A regular soak and then leave him alone in his enclosure for a while. All your fussing will only stress him more.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Start with a warm soak and go from there. Remember to not warm him up too fast either.