Hermy is underweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Ok I am a little worried now. I just entered Hermy weights (324grams) and the lenght (122mm) on this site
http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/cond.htm

and it says the mass is rather low. It says Hermy has 88% of the predicted mass. To measure his carapace lenght, I put his face in a wall (poor Hermy he was all sleepy).

Hermy eats a lot but should I feed him more? I always thought Hermy was overweight since he eats so much.

I have him since Feb 2008, when I got him his weights was 78g. The vet told me I should feed him less because he is getting biggger to quickly, but now I do not know?

Thank you for any comments :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa I did all of mine on this mass index scale and on the Jackson ratio. On the ratio they showed slight underweight and some slight overweight. Mine seem healthy happy and are eating fine and getting plenty of exersize. I would not worry too much if Hermy is doing fine. Remember that is set up to torts in the wild. And I have known people who have intentionally kept their torts slightly underweight and they do fine. You are not starving Hermy and I am sure he is doing fine.

Also our way of measuring torts is slightly different from the fine exact instruments that scientists have and our scales are not always exactly calabrated like theirs are. Each tort grows at his own rate so I am finding out. I have three small ones that are growing fast. And two that seem to be growing oh so slow. But they are growing, and appear happy and healthy.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Robyn
I am glad Hermy is fine :D. He looks happy and healty but do not exercise as I would want him too. Tomorrow, I am going to buy a webcam. That way, I will be able to spy on him while I am at work to see if does more exercise while he is alone.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Well no diet for Hermy :p As long as your supplementing Isa, than I'd give him as much as he wants to eat. It's very hard to over do it with the right diet.

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
egyptiandan said:
Well no diet for Hermy :p As long as your supplementing Isa, than I'd give him as much as he wants to eat. It's very hard to over do it with the right diet.

Danny

Thanks Danny
Since he has problems with his kidneys, I only give him calcium powder with D3 once a week. Should I give him calcium more often? There is a cuttlebone in his enclosure.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'd give the calcium at least every other day. :)

Danny

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
egyptiandan said:
I'd give the calcium at least every other day. :)

Danny

So I should give him calcium 3-4 times a week? Even if his kidneys do not work properly?
Poor Hermy, I was only giving him Calcium once a week :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.