Herman's enclosure progression?

BentZero

Location (City and/or State)
Mt pleasant, South Carolina
Me again. I'm still lurking and learning. I have a question about enclosure size progression for a baby tetsudo tort. I've read that you can start a baby in something as simple as a plastic concrete mixing tub. However, I've not seen any information on how long you can keep a baby in something that size.

I ask because I'm currently between houses. I'll be in my apartment until April next year as my house is being built. However, I'm considering getting a baby tort before then. I'm also just curious as to what the timeline looks like for a Herman's. Ultimately I'd build an indoor and an outdoor enclosure for him. I just don't know when I should plan on building them.

As an aside, I live on the 4th floor, so I'll be able to put the container outside during the day on my balcony when the little guy is able to be exposed to outdoor conditions. I also plan on getting a flower box so I can grow food for him since I don't have access to a yard where I can ensure that no pesticides have been used. It'll supplement store bought organic veggies.

daniellenc

Maryland
The more room you provide now the better. You could get away with a 4x2 mixing tub the first year and enclose it for sure.

daniellenc

Maryland
You have great weather!! Provide an hour of outdoor time per inch of a hatchling that has both sun and shade. For adults they can live outside year round down to certain temps but need a larger space. Check out closed chamber threads you’ll get lots of ideas for indoors and can use an open tub for sun time.

New York
I would recommend an oversized tote rather than a cement mixer for starters. It Is larger than a cement mixer, has high walls and lid making it easier to make a closed chamber. I used a 55 gal from home depot. I would say it would be a good size for the fist 6 months or so. Also after the tort grows out of it you can still use it as a tote.

BentZero

I would recommend an oversized tote rather than a cement mixer for starters. It Is larger than a cement mixer, has high walls and lid making it easier to make a closed chamber. I used a 55 gal from home depot. I would say it would be a good size for the fist 6 months or so. Also after the tort grows out of it you can still use it as a tote.
Thanks for the idea! I'll look into those.

BentZero

You have great weather!! Provide an hour of outdoor time per inch of a hatchling that has both sun and shade. For adults they can live outside year round down to certain temps but need a larger space. Check out closed chamber threads you’ll get lots of ideas for indoors and can use an open tub for sun time.
Thanks! That's great advice. I've added it to the care section of my research document.