3 Year old Herman's hibernating.

Tracey B

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
Hi, I have two three year old Herman's. They recently stopped eating, I have given them lots of baths to keep them hydrated but they have really slowed down and now all they want to do it dig down and sleep, they are in an indoor enclosure with heat lamps and lighting so they are warm. I was told that they should not hibernate until they are a least five? Should I leave them or keep waking them up? Thank you

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I know that it's often advised you don't hibernate them the first year you have them to make sure they are healthy enough to survive hibernation, and some people never hibernate their torts by keeping the temps warm night and day. My leopard is a non hibernating species so I know very little about it.
If they keep waking up make sure they don't eat because if they go into full hibernation the food could rot in their gut.
There are lots of threads about hibernation and brumation (some below or use the search facility) and I'll tag @Tom and @Yvonne G who'll be able to tell you much more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I have two three year old Herman's. They recently stopped eating, I have given them lots of baths to keep them hydrated but they have really slowed down and now all they want to do it dig down and sleep, they are in an indoor enclosure with heat lamps and lighting so they are warm. I was told that they should not hibernate until they are a least five? Should I leave them or keep waking them up? Thank you
I brumate them their first year and every year, but it must be done correctly with the proper lead in and lead out.

Read these:

Scroll down to post number #19 here: