Hermann's life expactancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
What's the life expectancy on a Hermann's? I've heard numbers from 50 to 100+.

Just wondering if I need to put them in my will :)

And really just curious because of all the conflicting info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nobody knows. This question cannot be answered by anyone reading this, as we will be dead from old age by the time it is figured out. Any number you hear is just a guess based on who knows what. We are still just figuring out how to really care for them properly. So even the captive bred ones of today might not give us an accurate picture of the life span. As for any wild caught ones, we can record how long they live in our artificial environments, but who knows how old they were when collected. I have heard of 70-80 year old captive Testudo sp. and 200+ year old individuals of other species...

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Not to be morbid, but I definitely plan to put Emrys in my will when I make one in a few years, and would even if I were younger and he were much older.

Our tortoises can live a very long time and, as Tom says, we don't even know their true lifespan. As depressing as it is, I accept that I could die at any time and my will is going to be there to protect my loved ones. I'm not making one until I'm married and have my child, but I'll make sure that as soon as it's created Emrys' future is secured on it. If anything happened to me I'd want to know he'd have someone to be with, and my potential lifespan is more of a determining factor than his.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My first tortoise, a Hermann's (presumably an Eastern), was my grandfather's pet until his passing (32 years), and then shared my home for 19 more years, and Grandfather said that she was fully grown when he found her, so I'm guessing that she was at least 60.

The oldest Hermann's I've ever heard of, one from the menagerie of some European nobleman, was allegedly 123 years old at it's passing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wish I could remember the name of the program. Last year the public TV channel ran a story about a Greek tortoise living in a garden in some fancy, schmancy mansion in England. They had a tag attached to the back of his shell that told people not to touch or handle him. He wandered the grounds for years and years, and I think he just died earlier this year. I can't remember how old the show said he was, but he was quite old.

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.tortoisereserve.org/sundry/Timothy_Body2.html

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
:/ I am 30, Gamera is a year or less, and she is already in my will. I plan to update as years go on. Made sure to get permission from my brother as I willed her to my niece as well as make sure she understands and agrees to the conditions. (I picked her above all because she is family, in 4H, loves, raises, and cares for animals of all kinds and is old enough to understand the situation and make an responsible choice. Should that no work out, I have a few other family members and failing that she must go to a reputable rescue with a background check and updates) Most of what I have seen or heard was anywhere from 50-80 in captivity, and around 100 in the wild. Rather play it safe.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
I wish I could remember the name of the program. Last year the public TV channel ran a story about a Greek tortoise living in a garden in some fancy, schmancy mansion in England. They had a tag attached to the back of his shell that told people not to touch or handle him. He wandered the grounds for years and years, and I think he just died earlier this year. I can't remember how old the show said he was, but he was quite old.

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.tortoisereserve.org/sundry/Timothy_Body2.html

Interesting article!

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
My neighbour has a Hermanns she brought over here from the UK, he belonged to her Great Grandfather and has been in the family for 112 years! He's huge (compared to all of mine anyway!) doesn't do a great deal but is a beautiful tortoise none the less!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
bubbles01 said:
My neighbour has a Hermanns she brought over here from the UK, he belonged to her Great Grandfather and has been in the family for 112 years! He's huge (compared to all of mine anyway!) doesn't do a great deal but is a beautiful tortoise none the less!

Very cool! Can you take a pic of it?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
bubbles01 said:
I'll go and see her tomorrow and ask.... sure she wont mind. His name is Fred!!

Excellent...if it's a very large Hermann's, it's also very likely that "Fred" is really a "Fredricka". :cool:

Lots of folks assume a tortoise is a male...

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
104_0524.JPG104_0525.JPG

Ok, so I went over to the neighbours today. Fred is in his box for winter, along with his little friend, William. So as he's a sleepy grumpy old man these were the best shots I could get.

She did tell me that he is actually nearer 120!!! because they worked out the 112 years just as her daughter started high school - 8 years ago.....

Anyway - pics as promised, in summer I'll get some more lively ones

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
bubbles01 said:
Ok, so I went over to the neighbours today. Fred is in his box for winter, along with his little friend, William. So as he's a sleepy grumpy old man these were the best shots I could get.

She did tell me that he is actually nearer 120!!! because they worked out the 112 years just as her daughter started high school - 8 years ago.....

Thanx! :cool:

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
bubbles01 said:

Thanks for the pics. How big is the little one, do you know?

That's an impressive old-man-tort!

Status
Not open for further replies.