Hermann's Just passed.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
El Sobrante, CA.
I had inherited a Hermann's Tort (Eastern Hermann's)(He/she was found on a Freeway Off ramp) I've had her/him for bout 8 years.
Last year, /AUGUST he/she stopped eating. took her/him to Berkeley Dog and Cat Hospital. Only local Hospital that took care of exotics.
Xrays were inconclusive. They thought she/he had an infection (respiratory?). They prescribed antibiotics, I administered Antibiotics over the course of two weeks.
She/he seemed to get better and started eating again. Yay.
Upon refection, I don't know if she/he ever got back to 100% of her/his past activity. When she/he was in their prime, I would stick my finger down in front of her/him, and
she/he would open her/his mouth and try to eat my finger, ouch!
Fast forward to this year, October..she/he stopped eating again. In her/his prime she/he weighed 825g, she/he was down to 647g.
Took her/him back to Berkeley Dog and Cat Hospital again, a new Dr., more Xrays, ended up giving her/him SubQ, and tube feed him.
Another course of antibiotics for two weeks.
Did this feeding for bout two weeks every other day, she/he seemed to be more active until yesterday,
Put her/him in a tub of warm water like usual to soak, then realized she/he was not moving. Concluded she/he had passed earlier in the day.
I had seen her/him moving around earlier in the day
So sad...
Just venting, sorry

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's too bad. I wish the tests had been more conclusive. It's hard to take not knowing.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am sorry for your loss.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Thank Y'all, I appreciate your replies...
As my name implies...I'm a farm girl with a Menagerie.
With that comes loss...IT IS NEVER EASY!
And this crappy year (pandemic), it doesn't make it any easier.
So, Now I don't know what she/he died from, I'm cleaning out their inside living quarters (I have 2 other Tort's, a Gulf Coast Box Tortoise & a Leopard Tort) Disinfecting and refilling with new substrate.

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
So, Now I don't know what she/he died from, I'm cleaning out their inside living quarters (I have 2 other Tort's, a Gulf Coast Box Tortoise & a Leopard Tort) Disinfecting and refilling with new substrate.
Well, hopefully you will get some solace from your other animals and the fact that you gave the tortoise a good home for 8 years.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
I had inherited a Hermann's Tort (Eastern Hermann's)(He/she was found on a Freeway Off ramp) I've had her/him for bout 8 years.
Last year, /AUGUST he/she stopped eating. took her/him to Berkeley Dog and Cat Hospital. Only local Hospital that took care of exotics.
Xrays were inconclusive. They thought she/he had an infection (respiratory?). They prescribed antibiotics, I administered Antibiotics over the course of two weeks.
Upon refection, I don't know if she/he ever got back to 100% of her/his past activity. When she/he was in their prime, I would stick my finger down in front of her/him, and
Fast forward to this year, October..she/he stopped eating again. In her/his prime she/he weighed 825g, she/he was down to 647g.
Took her/him back to Berkeley Dog and Cat Hospital again, a new Dr., more Xrays, ended up giving her/him SubQ, and tube feed him.
Did this feeding for bout two weeks every other day, she/he seemed to be more active until yesterday,
Put her/him in a tub of warm water like usual to soak, then realized she/he was not moving. Concluded she/he had passed earlier in the day.
So sad...
Just venting, sorry

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

I am sooooo sorry for your loss my dear friend.
You are correct in saying this year is for the birds!!! But I would reply don’t give it to the poor birds!
may peace be with your beautiful animal as with you and may time heal your wounds..
In my prayers ..?❤️??

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
So sad...
Just venting, sorry
So sorry to hear this. You did your best.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
I’m thinking of starting a thread on Bereavement. I have a strong bond with Duckster. I got him when I was 15 and I’m 43 now. I know that I will need help when he passes. The ppl here understand

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
I’m thinking of starting a thread on Bereavement. I have a strong bond with Duckster. I got him when I was 15 and I’m 43 now. I know that I will need help when he passes. The ppl here understand

A very good idea. A lot of people don't even understand a person' grief at the loss of a beloved dog, let alone a tortoise. It's so important to be able to connect with other people who deeply love their animal companions.

I know a person who, like you, had a desert tortoise since her teenage years. It was so painful when Homer died, and she had no one who got it. It's still hard for her to talk about him ten years later.

Last edited:

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
A very good idea. A lot of people don't even understand a person' grief at the loss of a beloved dog, let alone a tortoise. It's so important to be able to connect with other people who deeply love their animal companions.

I know a person who, like you, had a desert tortoise since her teenage years. It was so painful when Homer died, and she had no one who got it. It's still hard for her to talk about him ten years later.
Yes, Some folks try to understand the grief for "Only a Tortoise". It's not like one of my Macaws that talk to me. How can you grieve for a Tort....Well if you pinch my tort's foot it pulls it it in., it hurts. Gigantor was a living, breathing creature that we shared our lives together. I don't have Human kids of my own. I do have Nieces and nephews that I care for, BUT......My Parrots, My Geese, my Ducks, My chickens, my dogs, My Torts are my wards, my, MY children. And it pains me so when the inevitable happens no mattrer how hard I try to stop time. Some of my family gets me, some of my friends get me, Others Don't......

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Yes, Some folks try to understand the grief for "Only a Tortoise". It's not like one of my Macaws that talk to me. How can you grieve for a Tort....Well if you pinch my tort's foot it pulls it it in., it hurts. Gigantor was a living, breathing creature that we shared our lives together. I don't have Human kids of my own. I do have Nieces and nephews that I care for, BUT......My Parrots, My Geese, my Ducks, My chickens, my dogs, My Torts are my wards, my, MY children. And it pains me so when the inevitable happens no mattrer how hard I try to stop time. Some of my family gets me, some of my friends get me, Others Don't......

i do! ?❤️

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I’m thinking of starting a thread on Bereavement.

A very good idea. A lot of people don't even understand a person' grief at the loss of a beloved dog, let alone a tortoise.

Yes, Some folks try to understand the grief for "Only a Tortoise".

Get a box of Kleenex ready...

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
"No matter how we try to stop time." That is well said.

When my beloved dog Toby died, a person I liked very much said, "It's not like you lost a child. You can get another dog." I knew then that however nice a person he was otherwise, he and I could never be close friends. For one thing, it's rude to dismiss someone else's grief, period. Secondly I knew there was an essential dimension of life where we would never connect.

On the other hand, when I was first seeing a horseman who became my husband, he showed great appreciation of Toby and of the bond Toby and I shared, and when Toby was dying he showed us both great kindness. Drove us an hour in the middle of the night to an emergency vet in another city; and when I was inconsolable after Toby's death, he came over afterwards to my house to try to give comfort with home-made soup. And when 20 years later our noble dog Jack died, my husband mourned as deeply as I did. He has children and grandchildren, but that doesn't make him indifferent to our animals.

Like you, I have nephews, nieces and stepchildren, but no children of my own. Yet I have strong maternal instincts. Had one dear dog whose back end became paralyzed; he spent the last few years of his life harnessed to his doggie wheels and being diapered by me two or three times a day. And I never minded it a bit. In fact I treasure the memories.

These days, caring for my little tortoise Cholla, learning to to meet her needs, to recognize her moods, and to enjoy her trusting ways, means more to me than I can express.

"Only a dog" ; "only a bird"; "only a tortoise." Those phrases tell me that the person speaking has never known any animal very well. They may be nice people otherwise, but they're missing out on one of life's most rewarding experiences.

We can all be grateful for a forum like this where folks like us can express these things and write words of understanding and comfort to one other during times of bereavement.

It's ight times economically right now for my husband and me (neither of us is working due to Covid19), but I am seriously considering contributing as much as we can afford to this forum. Many thanks to all who designed it, moderate it, etc.