Hermanns hatchling

Opuntia

Location (City and/or State)
uk
Please can somebody help or is there anyone that you know that would have the answer.
Thanks in advance.

Opuntia

uk
Thanks Len. Do you raise yours that way and does it help with pyramiding? Are there any heath risks i.e. respiratory infections?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'm new to raising hermann hatchlings. I had one hatch outside in the females pen back in August and another egg hatched in November that I dug up when it started getting cold outside and incubated it inside. I have them in separate closed type enclosures with a minimum temperature at night around 77 F. After the lights are turned on in the morning the temps raise slowly to the upper 80s with the humidity levels in the 80 percent area.Both are growing nicely and I haven't seen any noticeable problems so far. Jean the August hatchling this morning weighs 85 grams, the other one is still in it's hide so no weight yet today. The biggest health risks are probably wet conditions with low temps and or overly intense heat from above.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
We haven't had a hard extended freeze yet so I'm still able to get weeds from the yard. The pickings are getting slimmer though. Collards are the only store bought item so far.that I mix with the yard weeds. Opuntia cactus and mazuri (both blends). Pretty much the same diet as the adults.