Hermanns acting odd

Nicholas999

Location (City and/or State)
Sutton Surrey
Was wondering if anyone could help I had 2 hermanns for about a year and half brought them both together as hatchlings sadly I didn't know back then about keeping a male and a female together and it turns out that's what we had I had to make the tough decision to rehome one of them luckily my neighbour's took one so she not to far however since then the male we kept is acting odd sleeps alot more moves really slow well slower then usual and has stopped eating unless I feed it to him by hand is he missing the female or is he unwell

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Nicholas and welcome.
Torts are territorial and don't like company so he may not be missing her other than as a mate or to bully, but they don't like change either so maybe he is reacting to that.
A few of the standard questions that are asked are:
Where are you located?
Is he in an indoor or outdoor enclosure?
Does he have a uvb bulb? (not coiled or cfl type as they have been known damage tort eyes).
- the more information you can give the better and if you can post pics of his enclosure members can suggest changes you could make to ensure he is as safe and happy as possible.
Meanwhile you will find a good caresheet under species specific, Beginners Mistakes (link below) is a good guide to avoid common problems .
Hope it's just a phase he is going through.

Nicholas999

Sutton Surrey
He is in a indoor enclosure and has a large run outdoors for when the weather is better and yes I have uv and heat bulb one end and just uv the other end and a red bulb to warm him up at night if the temperature drops he just seems different since but he does eat if I give to him by hand but he used to eat like it was going out of fashion but you saying about change I did buy him a tortoise gave and new hides and bowls afther but he seems to like his new set up

20170529_132248.jpg 20170529_132232.jpg