Hermann with infected eye...

tiffany361

I have just went to give my tortoise his bath and noticed when I picked him up only one of his eyes were open. I can see him trying to open it so have rinsed it with warm water and it seems to have helped a little. Does anyone have any advice I'm worried about the wee guy. Thanks

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
What kind of lighting are you using? And substrate? Do you have a picture of the eye?

tiffany361

I have taken a picture of Teddys eye, I'm really worried as this has been almost a week. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422992590.449712.jpg
As you can see it's fully closed, it does open slightly when I bath him, I'm worried he's in pain and I'm making it worse.
This is it tonight, it looks white:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422992850.524676.jpg
In this picture he has only been awake for about 10 minutes as he has been sleeping a lot. We were told to try and keep him from trying to hibernate as he is still too small to last a hibernation.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422992696.682187.jpg
This is the light we are using, it's on for 16 hours a day as its dark and cold in scotland so it's the only light the poor guy gets. He has shelter to get away from the light if he wants.

Thanks for any advice

tiffany361

We just managed to get the White out of his eye, not sure what it isImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422993293.790760.jpg

Should I be worried??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Whats his diet like, could be vit A problems, esp. with white stuff coming out.

tiffany361

Baby red Batavia, spinach kale, rocket he has had a little bit of a Brussels sprout and loved that I know ur not meant to give them Brussels. When I put nutrobol on his food he doesn't eat his food.

tiffany361

These are updated pictures from tonight....should I take him to the vet?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I saw a picture like this about a week or two ago and their eyes cleared up when they fixed the humidity. They had a white spot in their eye too. Bubbles in the eye (like your last picture) show that you need more humidity, as well. I was checking out this care sheet:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

It looks like 70% humidity is a good percentage for a hermanns. What are your temps and what is your humidity now?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Do you have an open top? If you close the enclosure it will be a lot easier to keep humidity in.