Hermann tortoise not well?

RaeEns

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hi can anybody help me, I have 2 hermann’s tortoise and one of them currently has a white film over both eyes and won’t/can’t open them, I took it to where I got it from and they recommended eye drops which were currently on day 3 of. Will these drops work or do I have a poorly tortoise? I have also noticed it isn’t drinking water and worried it is dehydrated. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Swollen shut eyes is usually either lack of vitamin A ( not eating ), or too cold. Have you read the care sheet? It's pinned at the top of the Hermanns section.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Do they share the same enclosure?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
You should not keep two tortoises in the same enclosure. One is probably bullying the other. You should wait for an expert to help you.

RaeEns

Manchester
You should not keep two tortoises in the same enclosure. One is probably bullying the other. You should wait for an expert to help you.
Oh really I didn’t no that, where we got them from said it was ok as long as you did it from the get go rather than get 1 the add another later down the line :(

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
You can search posts on the forum about keeping 2 tortoises together. They aren't snuggling each other, it is bullying. @Yvonne G @Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi can anybody help me, I have 2 hermann’s tortoise and one of them currently has a white film over both eyes and won’t/can’t open them, I took it to where I got it from and they recommended eye drops which were currently on day 3 of. Will these drops work or do I have a poorly tortoise? I have also noticed it isn’t drinking water and worried it is dehydrated. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
What type of substrate are you using and is it damp?
What type if UV bulb are you using? Type of bulb, not brad name.

Tortoises should never be housed as pairs, the chronic stress can hamper the immune system.

Here is the correct care info. Most of what the pet shop tells you and sells you is the wrong stuff.

RaeEns

Manchester
What type of substrate are you using and is it damp?
What type if UV bulb are you using? Type of bulb, not brad name.

Tortoises should never be housed as pairs, the chronic stress can hamper the immune system.

Here is the correct care info. Most of what the pet shop tells you and sells you is the wrong stuff.
Thankyou, is my best option to re-home one of them?

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Hi and welcome, the advice you've been given here is correct, you'll need to separate them, torts are solitary animals and shouldn't be kept in pairs.