Hermann Male infertility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGB

5 Year Member
Short story: Does anyone have experience with testing male fertility in tortoises?

Long story: I have added 2.5 hermanns to my home and have had 4 of the five lay clutches now that have almost all been infertile. About 8/30 eggs have been fertile. All the fertile eggs have been from two torts. I have added my known fertile male at times to the colony.

I first wondered if the new environment was causing problems (previous owner reported about 85% hatch rate). And I do note that some of the eggs have a slightly roughened texture, maybe they have been held too long in search of more familiar nesting conditions. (? Just a guess!)

However, of note, the 2 males that arrived with the colony have some issues. One old male has no interest in mating at all. The other male has enlarged ?lymph nodes in his neck associated with very loose enlarged skin. The previous owner stated the vet said not to worry about it. Regardless, this male "squirted" some fluid out his cloaca after rubbing his tail on a piece of tile, and I placed it on a glass slide. His hemipenis did not protrude so I am unsure if it is was semen or urine.
On microscopy there were easily identified sperm, but very few were motile, about 5%. I can't find any info about normal for tortoises. I also can't find any info about collecting a semen sample from tortoises.

So i say all that to ask: Does anyone have any info about testing for fertility of a male tortoise?

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.