Herman substrate

k19rks

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi all, I’m new here and after some advice,

We have a 3 year old tortoise in a vivarium and he seems pretty happy but we decided to change his substrate. The exotic pet store suggested the grass pellet things and he’s been on them for like 2 or 3 years now, but we just felt it was a bit too dry and we fancied trying something new, so we went with a mix of tortoise soil and coconut coir. However we now found this incredibly messy, his water bowl is a right mess 2 mins after being changed and it mucks up the glass as well as his food bowl, so again we are looking for alternatives and would appreciate any advice you lot could offer please

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi and welcome. I recommend orchid bark course. I buy either of the following in the UK

Or
prorep orchid bark from a reptile shop or amazon

Mine lasts about 4 months but I regularly spot clean and put it on garden beds when done or top up the outside enclosure. I use a water sprayer to keep damp.
Hope that helps?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Another option is Reptibark. It holds moisture well.
Screenshot_20230426_225331_Chrome.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all, I’m new here and after some advice,

We have a 3 year old tortoise in a vivarium and he seems pretty happy but we decided to change his substrate. The exotic pet store suggested the grass pellet things and he’s been on them for like 2 or 3 years now, but we just felt it was a bit too dry and we fancied trying something new, so we went with a mix of tortoise soil and coconut coir. However we now found this incredibly messy, his water bowl is a right mess 2 mins after being changed and it mucks up the glass as well as his food bowl, so again we are looking for alternatives and would appreciate any advice you lot could offer please
Hello and welcome. What species is your tortoise?

Substrate is covered here and also in the care sheets near the bottom: