HELP WITH TREES-PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't find if two trees I have are tortoise safe. One is a Snow Fountain Twisted Cherry, does not get fruit, just leafs and flowers.
The second is an Ornamental Japanese Red Maple.
I don't really want to get rid of them if possible. However, they are both within the enclosure.
Thank you for any help.:D

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep Japanese maples (many bonsai and some in the ground) with no issues. I'm not sure about that specific cherry, but I keep a flowering weeping cherry and a fruiting cherry tree in my yard and have had no issues with those either. Hope that was helpful! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This will be of no help to you, but I have heard both ways with these trees.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you both. Jacqui, I think it does help. With what you said and what I had read about cherry trees, not to feed it to them, but what falls is fine and with what Kimber_Lee_314 said, I think I can assume they will be alright. I will clean up what I can and not worry about what I can't.
Thank you again

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
From what I've read, the bark of many maple trees, like vine maple or Japanese maple, etc., is fine. Meaning, the bark in itself is not deemed a problem. But red maple (Acer rubrum) can harbor a fungus. Inhalation of exuded residue may be harmful.
Norway (Acer platanoides) and Japanese maples (A. palmatum) are from different parts of the genus than red maple (A. rubrum). Red maple can be confused with red-leaved cultivars of Norway and Japanese maples in discussion, when these latter are referred to as red maples (instead of red-leaved maples). Although they are the toxic to horses btw.

JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.