Help with shell damage please?

bedia

5 Year Member
Hi everybody.
İ live in İstanbul and have a big garden where my tortoises live freely in the garden.
They have been waking up and showing themselves in the last 2-3 weeks. This young girl is about 5-6 years old. She was perfectly healthy and beautiful apart from a small white shell damage from the lawnmower of the previous owner...
This season she came around with this big crack in her shell. The bone underneath is intact. No discharge or anything but the shell looks badly damaged. She seemed fine before they went to hibernation, so İ wonder what happened???
Do İ need to seperate her from the others? She hates coming indoors and won't eat when inside. What do you suggest??
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459439002.979937.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459439023.446649.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459439036.481273.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459439057.765852.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi everybody.
İ live in İstanbul and have a big garden where my tortoises live freely in the garden.
They have been waking up and showing themselves in the last 2-3 weeks. This young girl is about 5-6 years old. She was perfectly healthy and beautiful apart from a small white shell damage from the lawnmower of the previous owner...
This season she came around with this big crack in her shell. The bone underneath is intact. No discharge or anything but the shell looks badly damaged. She seemed fine before they went to hibernation, so İ wonder what happened???
Do İ need to seperate her from the others? She hates coming indoors and won't eat when inside. What do you suggest??
View attachment 169008
View attachment 169009
View attachment 169010
View attachment 169011

So is that injured area the same area that was damaged by the lawnmower? It would appear that area is actually in the healing stage, but is the bone clean and dry under the damaged shell? Or is there wet seepage or mucus on the bone under the damaged shell?

bedia

5 Year Member
So is that injured area the same area that was damaged by the lawnmower? It would appear that area is actually in the healing stage, but is the bone clean and dry under the damaged shell? Or is there wet seepage or mucus on the bone under the damaged shell?

The lawnmower damage is here in picture. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459443916.733910.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459444046.159228.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459444046.159228.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1

bedia

5 Year Member
This is still chipping off... Almost like an eggshell... She seems to be unaffected by it. But my over-amorous old boy is ramming her quite often, and İ'm worried about the bone underneath.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Could the damage be from the male harassing her? Maybe you could get a pen to separate them?

Is there any bad smell from the damaged area? Is she still active and eating?

bedia

5 Year Member
Could the damage be from the male harassing her? Maybe you could get a pen to separate them?

Is there any bad smell from the damaged area? Is she still active and eating?

She is active and eating well. No discharge, no smell. Very dry. She just hates being indoors and is very cross, hissing at me when İ touch her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd be willing to bet that damage if from the male ramming and bumping her. Is it possible to put up some temporary fencing so you can have her be by herself?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I agree with Yvonne. Beautiful little torts you have!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is still chipping off... Almost like an eggshell... She seems to be unaffected by it. But my over-amorous old boy is ramming her quite often, and İ'm worried about the bone underneath.

I would off limit the male....he can do with a smaller space and allow her some space and some peace and quiet....is the pic of a woman and a number of tortoise you and the creep of tortoise in your care? If yes, I would allow this tortoise some down time and offer her a peace filled space outdoors so she can continue on with her recovery...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would off limit the male....he can do with a smaller space and allow her some space and some peace and quiet....is the pic of a woman and a number of tortoise you and the creep of tortoise in your care? If yes, I would allow this tortoise some down time and offer her a peace filled space outdoors so she can continue on with her recovery...

Wow, my auto correct went crazy on my last post...is that you and your creep of tortoise in the pic? Great pic..

bedia

5 Year Member
Wow, my auto correct went crazy on my last post...is that you and your creep of tortoise in the pic? Great pic..

Yes the picture is me with my torts They seem to like coming up to me this time of the year for strawberries and dandilion... And the tort in the middle of the group facing the camera is the guy harrasing all the girls. He is in solitary confinement now.