Help with sexing my sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone

I don't post on here very much but I am an avid reader of the forum.

If anyone could help identify if I have male(s) or female(s) sulcatas that would be greatly appreciated.

Little Foot purchased as a baby in August 2007
IMG_2705_zps66404bb2.jpg

Shelly also a 2007 that I acquired about 2 years later.
IMG_2711_zps9313792f.jpg

Little Foot and Shelly were apparently clutch mates, purchased from the same store at the same time (a friend of my sisters bought Shelly and didn't know what they were doing so I eventually ended up with her two years later).

Thanks for any help,
Jenna

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
They both look female to me, although I'm having trouble seeing how long Shelly's tail is.

Jenna09

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
She is shy about her tail apparently, I just went to take another picture and she tucked it up so tight lol

It feels short/small, here is a zoomed up pic of the tail in the pic I already posted.

76b0272a-d232-4211-9543-767979d720cd_zps1adf0f38.jpg

My fiance took 4 other pictures outside and it looks like she has no tail at all and I just took a couple more also looks like she is lacking a tail she has it hidden so well!

Jenna

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Jenna09 said:
She is shy about her tail apparently, I just went to take another picture and she tucked it up so tight lol

It feels short/small, here is a zoomed up pic of the tail in the pic I already posted.

My fiance took 4 other pictures outside and it looks like she has no tail at all and I just took a couple more also looks like she is lacking a tail she has it hidden so well!

Jenna

Awww, she's bashful. :D
That tiny tail confirms it for me. Both females.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Both females. You might get lucky and have two that get along long term.

Jenna09

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tom, even though there is a considerable size difference so far they have been living peacefully together. I know that can change over time, but I am hoping that because they are both females that they will continue to be "buddies".

Thanks again everyone!
Jenna

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It works out occasionally. Two females does give you the best chance of success. Two males or a male and a female would almost certainly end badly, but occasionally two females will coexist.

Status
Not open for further replies.