Sexing My Sulcata

sulcata2014

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
DSC00922.JPG DSC00924.JPG DSC00925.JPG DSC00928.JPG DSC00926.JPG Can someone please help me sex this sulcata ASAP!!!
I'm looking to get it a s mate for mine bit I NEED to know the sex!
Any help would be most appreciated as we all don't need two of the same sex together!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike:

I'd like to offer you a bit of advice:

First of all, tortoises don't need 'mates' or companions. They are solitary and prefer to live solitary lives. If you are interested in breeding them, then it would be best to have two separate yards for them, only putting the male with the female once a year.

If you have a pair of sulcatas in the same yard, the male will hound the female and breed her constantly. I've see some female sulcatas with very thin spots on their carapace where the male rubs it because of constant mating.

Your sulcata is a male. Once he's been with a female, he is no longer the fun 'pet' he has been. The only thing, from then on, on his mind is finding that female and breeding her.

sulcata2014

Florida
Thanks Yvonne!

I though he was male but just wanted to be sure. Thanks for all of the useful information you have shared with me. My intention as a mate is to mate/breed not as in a pal to be chummy with. I agree with keeping the male from constantly trying to breed to female as that's just not helpful to any tortoise involved. Although they do tend to be solitary, I had two males that got along perfectly for 9 years and they were about 20 years old when I finally decided I want to actually get a female to breed. I thank you for taking the time to offer your opinion and advice and that's why we are all here so we can be the best tortoise keepers we can be!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why do you want to breed sulcatas? Have you thought this through? Do you have the facilities, resources and time to care for 100 babies per female per year, and find homes for all of them? I've done it. When you turn that baby factory on it is constant work and expenses. Just making sure you are prepared for that. And like Yvonne said. Your male will not be the pet that he is now once you start this.

sulcata2014

Florida
I have thought about. I love tortoises and like to to help others achieve the goal of being great tortoise keepers! I have a friend who is a huge breeder who can help me with anything I need and I know that he's stays busy as he has hundreds of tortoises to care for. All I need for now is an incubator and I can afford any and all expenses. I don't think one female will take all of my time or make me a certified breeding operation. I'm really wanting to, in the near future, get many acres and get into full-time. I'll have to keep a male or two aside to be my buddies! I have a red foot a sulcata and a leopard that are very friendly and quite small. I can sell tortoises fairly easily and have connections to sell whole mass quantities quickly if needed! I know it's a lot of work, but I'd say it was much cheaper and easier than breeding cattle or goats!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you have thought it through. In that case, good luck to you.

I like the Hovabator and Little Giant incubators. They are about $50, but they both work well and have hatched thousands of babies.

zoey vagner

San Diego, ca
I have thought about. I love tortoises and like to to help others achieve the goal of being great tortoise keepers! I have a friend who is a huge breeder who can help me with anything I need and I know that he's stays busy as he has hundreds of tortoises to care for. All I need for now is an incubator and I can afford any and all expenses. I don't think one female will take all of my time or make me a certified breeding operation. I'm really wanting to, in the near future, get many acres and get into full-time. I'll have to keep a male or two aside to be my buddies! I have a red foot a sulcata and a leopard that are very friendly and quite small. I can sell tortoises fairly easily and have connections to sell whole mass quantities quickly if needed! I know it's a lot of work, but I'd say it was much cheaper and easier than breeding cattle or goats!
There are plenty of rescues trying to do the same for people who have bought from breeders and realized they were not able to care for them once they sized....