Help with RES turtle lighting

Lada

Location (City and/or State)
Croatia
Hi!
I have a 20 year old read ear slider turtle that has she'll rot. I wasn't aware that the turtle needs an UVB light in addition to the basking spot light. The turtle received a D3 shot treatment and the shell improved over the summer because she's outside. Now that fall is coming, I'm in a rush to upgrade her apartment.
I need help to set up the lights. I want to go as energy efficient as possible without affecting the health of the turtle.

I bought a new 50W basking light but I'm not sure that will be enough. I don't feel a lot of warmth even at few Inches. How strong should I go without waisting energy?

I don't know which uvb light to get.
Which is longer lasting, a bulb or a fluorescent light? Which designation should I get? There are some charts on the boxes for the power rating but that isn't much.

The turtle is going to be in a big tall tub so I'm pretty flexible in regards to lighting.
I still have to figure out if I'm making a platform or if I'll find a appropriate sized driftwood.

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_201824.jpg
    IMG_20200917_201824.jpg
    862.3 KB · Views: 7

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I believe the general consensus in this forum is to buy UV strip lights over general MVB/UV/Heat bulbs due to shell desiccation from the heat. I personally have a Powersun bulb 100w MVB for my map turtle because he LOVES basking, but UV strip lights last way longer (I've had my Arcadia strip lights for my tort about 1,5 - 2 years and check the UV output - still sufficient) whereas my Powersun bulb needs to be replaced in 6-8 months due to the shrinking UV output over time. Price wise as well, UV strip lights are the way to go.

The issue with the lights you have in the picture are: coil bulbs are not good for tort's eyes, and the others have no indication of UV output at all.

Lada

Croatia
I believe the general consensus in this forum is to buy UV strip lights over general MVB/UV/Heat bulbs due to shell desiccation from the heat. I personally have a Powersun bulb 100w MVB for my map turtle because he LOVES basking, but UV strip lights last way longer (I've had my Arcadia strip lights for my tort about 1,5 - 2 years and check the UV output - still sufficient) whereas my Powersun bulb needs to be replaced in 6-8 months due to the shrinking UV output over time. Price wise as well, UV strip lights are the way to go.

The issue with the lights you have in the picture are: coil bulbs are not good for tort's eyes, and the others have no indication of UV output at all.

I was searching web stores but I didn't find no uvb led lights. I'll try to find them.

I have no idea how strong the light should be in relation to her size.

The picture is from a local pet store. They also have uvb florescent lights but I don't have pictures. I believe they are also reptile brand.

I have an unused carbon heating pad. Do you think I should use it too?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
So here is some info on lighting: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-enclosure-lighting.130/
safe to say it also applies to water turtles

her size doesnt really matter when purchasing a light. it's the temperature you will have to monitor under the light that will be the issue as well as the distance from the bulb to the shell of the turtle. Here is a pic of my turtle dock with the light at a safe distance

20181125_163352.jpg

Lada

Croatia
So here is some info on lighting: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-enclosure-lighting.130/
safe to say it also applies to water turtles

her size doesnt really matter when purchasing a light. it's the temperature you will have to monitor under the light that will be the issue as well as the distance from the bulb to the shell of the turtle. Here is a pic of my turtle dock with the light at a safe distance

View attachment 306621

I understand that but a more powerful light needs to be further away to not get too hot. You can't use a small light because it would need too be too close or the cone shaped heat signature would be too small. That's why i mentioned the age. She's fully grown, 20 cm long.
Maybe I should get regular bulbs and test the heat radiation and then get a basking light?
I have an IR thermometer ti check it. I know some people say there's no difference between basking lights and regular bulbs if they are not uvb rated.

I'll check the link. Thanks!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I use these for my turtlesunnamed (1).jpgMercury vapor bulbs aren't recommended for torts, but I don't think you need to worry about dessication with water turtles.