Help with red foot

karenfromscotland

Hi, Mike is a year old now, and up until about a month ago he was doing fine but is constantly sleeping unless I lift him, he eats when I do this but won't come out by himself. He does both from the other end too. I read that red foots don't hibernate but does that still apply when he's living in our climate? We were minus 1 last night. I feel bad lifting him as he is totally docile. But he needs to eat. Vet says he's healthy.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What temperature is he at? What kind of enclosure do you have?

karenfromscotland

hi, he's in a wooden tortoise house, basking spot thermometer reads 89-90 and his sleeping area thermometer reads 80. He gets his greens and calcium I spray his enclosure twice a day, he beds in small pet hay and has tortoise soil in his enclosure. And fresh water daily

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you post a picture of the setup . Please

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I thinking your temperature is off . What kind of meter are you using?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The round ones are almost never right . Go to a home store and pickup a digital one they sell for ten bucks . I am willing to bet he's not warm enough .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No problem . A good care sheet is on tortoise library .com . It's a members site and a good read .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Usually when they slow down it's because they're cold.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
so are your lights on a timer? If not I'd start there... what is your diet? Water (constant access)? .. if lights are on a timer.. I'd try to A) put tort under the light as soon as it comes on B) increase ambien temp as tort may be too young to want to be out in the open basking, and some don't like to bask...

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Your Tedfoot is not in closed chambers?? I worry that his heat is coming right out of the top of the wooden environment and he is cold.
Pictures would be good.

karenfromscotland

No problem . A good care sheet is on tortoise library .com . It's a members site and a good read .
Happy new year. Just an update, you were spot on mike, the round thermometers I had were out by 15 degrees. No wonder he was docile. I'm on it now, these two new digital ones are a lot better. I also got a humidity digital one too. He's actually sitting out just now , not basking but he has burrowed a bit into the corner. Thanks, I don't feel so much like a bad tort mummy now.

karenfromscotland

Your Tedfoot is not in closed chambers?? I worry that his heat is coming right out of the top of the wooden environment and he is cold.
Pictures would be good.
Yes I did wonder if that was the case, but how to enclose the top without making it a jail? Will think about that one, I read that glass enclosures ain't good for them. I will post pics when were home, on holiday( mike too) at the moment. Thanks for reply

karenfromscotland

so are your lights on a timer? If not I'd start there... what is your diet? Water (constant access)? .. if lights are on a timer.. I'd try to A) put tort under the light as soon as it comes on B) increase ambien temp as tort may be too young to want to be out in the open basking, and some don't like to bask...
Hiya, he has fresh water daily, if anything he is spoiled when it comes to the food. He has kale, pal choi little gem tomato papaya spinach mango

karenfromscotland

Hiya, he has fresh water daily, if anything he is spoiled when it comes to the food. He has kale, pal choi little gem tomato papaya spinach mango
He was basking a bit back in the summer when I got him, he is in a quiet room so has no disturbance, that's him a year old this week : )