Redfoot having weird poos, negative for parasites

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Garland, Texas
Hello,

I acquired a Cherryhead right before Christmas. He ate right out of the box without issue. Then suddenly about a week ago he stopped eating. I noticed some very odd poos. I’ve just received his fecal results back and he is negative for parasites. Any idea of what to look for next? I am baffled as to what’s going on with this guy. He seems alert but is basking a lot and I’ve only gotten him to eat well once this whole week. He ate cactus and mango, everything else offered has been rejected. Pictures of the poos attached.

Luckily the new guy is quarantined and hasn’t been exposed to any of my other redfoots. I’m hoping I can get him healthy.

Attachments

• 58273E19-4155-457F-97A8-DA012F8B500D.jpeg
    58273E19-4155-457F-97A8-DA012F8B500D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 7CC25004-F8E4-4BBF-B488-17CA248DE8D1.jpeg
    7CC25004-F8E4-4BBF-B488-17CA248DE8D1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello,

I acquired a Cherryhead right before Christmas. He ate right out of the box without issue. Then suddenly about a week ago he stopped eating. I noticed some very odd poos. I’ve just received his fecal results back and he is negative for parasites. Any idea of what to look for next? I am baffled as to what’s going on with this guy. He seems alert but is basking a lot and I’ve only gotten him to eat well once this whole week. He ate cactus and mango, everything else offered has been rejected. Pictures of the poos attached.

Luckily the new guy is quarantined and hasn’t been exposed to any of my other redfoots. I’m hoping I can get him healthy.
The fecal matter definitely looks very strange. The gut flora may have been compromised somehow. If the tortoise will eat anything, I would get some Bene-Bac Powder (the avian/reptile formula) and sprinkle it on whatever you can get the tortoise to eat. Hopefully that will help get the tortoise on the right track again.

Here is a link to the product: https://www.chewy.com/petag-bene-ba...HdX0TtD7o-RE7vntlp40jauj7QkepvKMaAm8REALw_wcB

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
The fecal matter definitely looks very strange. The gut flora may have been compromised somehow. If the tortoise will eat anything, I would get some Bene-Bac Powder (the avian/reptile formula) and sprinkle it on whatever you can get the tortoise to eat. Hopefully that will help get the tortoise on the right track again.

Here is a link to the product: https://www.chewy.com/petag-bene-ba...HdX0TtD7o-RE7vntlp40jauj7QkepvKMaAm8REALw_wcB
Yes actually i’ve been doing exactly that with the benebac. No changes yet. But he has only eaten a bit.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
I’ve also been giving him food soaks with critical care and adding in benebac. I hope it’s helping.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Heres a guess:
Has his enclosure temperature been constant?
Or has it been cooler?
It looks like partially digested food. That would happen if he isn't kept warm enough for full digestion to take place. Around 80°f
That would also make him eat less. If at all.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Heres a guess:
Has his enclosure temperature been constant?
Or has it been cooler?
It looks like partially digested food. That would happen if he isn't kept warm enough for full digestion to take place. Around 80°f
That would also make him eat less. If at all.
He lives in a closed chamber with a top mounted radiant heat panel on a thermostat set to 84°. There are no signs of respiratory infection.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Well the vet is stumped too. We’re trying a course of antibiotics although they don’t know the issue. I would rather know we’re treating the right thing but at a loss on what else to do. The antibiotics could further mess up his gut flora but it’s already messed up. I hope he starts eating more and gets those probiotics in his system.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
His poo frequency has improved so I hope he is getting better but the poops just look awful. ? Sorry for the grossness. I hope he’s getting better but it’s hard to say. He’s also lost some more weight ?

Attachments

• 949D4D05-E459-415D-9D14-27578072ECAA.jpeg
    949D4D05-E459-415D-9D14-27578072ECAA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • EC478C09-71A0-4D36-8B9B-FB627D20BC12.jpeg
    EC478C09-71A0-4D36-8B9B-FB627D20BC12.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How's he doing now? Is he active? Can we see his enclosure?

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
How's he doing now? Is he active? Can we see his enclosure?
I never got a notification, sorry I never responded. He actually seems to be improving finally, the round of antibiotics only seemed to provide moderate improvement. Toward the end of the antibiotics his poos went right back to being mucosy. The vet and I decided to try the parasite medicine Metronidazole even with his negative fecal since some flagellates can be hard to detect. I think with his poos being all mucous and very little actual fecal matter didn’t help either.

He’s been on the Metronidazole for about a week now and i’ve seen him eat more this past week than I have in over a month! I really hope he’s finally improving. I am still waiting for a nice big poo so I can see if it’s any less mucous filled now. He’s also regained the weight he has lost.

Here’s a pic of his enclosure. It’s heated with a radiant heat panel, Arcadia t5 6% and misted daily to stay at 80% humidity. I’d get a better pic if it wasn’t night time right now lol If he gets better he’ll eventually move in to the much larger enclosures with other redfoots.

Attachments

• 723AA5CE-E7FA-49E9-B364-C0E56DCD2B43.jpeg
    723AA5CE-E7FA-49E9-B364-C0E56DCD2B43.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 11

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
He’s all better now and has gained 30g and eats and poos regularly now ❤️ Looks like it was the initial suspect after all, protozoa parasites.