Help with new Leopard Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taryn

5 Year Member
Hi All
I am new here and new to tortoises. I have always wanted one and we finally got one on Wednesday. I have 2 bearded dragons and a ball python so I know alot about lizards and snakes but not much about tortoises. I have done alot of research about diet, lighting and temperatures but its tortoise behaviour that I know nothing about.. So here is what I need help with. Since we got him a few days ago - he seems to move his arms back and forth at the same time - almost like he is pumping them and then at the same time he will yawn. My boyfriend thinks at times it looks like he is gasping - but to me it looks like a yawn. There is no obvious signs of him being sick - no runny eyes or nose, no wheezing or any sounds coming from him. He is eating really well. My beardie had a Respiratory Infection before so I have experience dealing with it. Is this normal or do we need to be worried? He is very small - we are not sure of his age but he weighs 50g. Oh - and I live in South Africa - its winter here but warm enough for him to be outside during the day.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

Yes thats normal to pump the front legs in and out. That action helps a tortoise to breath. Though when a tortoise does it very fast it usually means they are a bit stressed. This is normal also for a new tortoise in a new set-up. Everything is new and different, so there will be some stress.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Taryn:

Welcome to the forum!!

Taryn

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome :)
I'm glad to know his behaviour is normal..
He is settling in well and has a huge appetite

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Keep an eye on him and let us know if more questions pop up. It will take a leopard a while to feel comfortable in a new environment and you may find him a bit shy, but he will warm up to you soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I love the RSA. I spent about 4 months there a few years ago. Fantastic place. Congrats on your new baby.

Just to be on the safe side, I like to keep baby Leopards on the warm side around the clock for the first few months at least. I shoot for 26C as a low, but offer a basking spot around 38C for 12-14 hours a day. If you do, on the off chance, have a problem, this will also help clear it up.

Which subspecies do you have? I saw mostly pardalis pardalis while I was there, but a few babcocks too. Can you post a pic?

azimmer22

5 Year Member
Hi all, I have had a 5 year old leopard for about 8 months now, and she is thriving - my friend and owner of Aqua Imports here in Boulder built her an amazing tortoise table !

Taryn

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone :)
And thank you for the advice

Thor is doing very well - eating like a champ!
I'm not sure of the sub species - I think he is a pardalis pardalis.
Pics to follow..

DSCN2743.jpg

DSCN2738.jpg

DSCN2741.jpg

_MG_9041.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.