help with mvb bulbs?

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roseville, Minnesota
So was looking at mvb bulbs (before I was using coil uvb lights...... I learned) and I noticed how they're always 100 watt or 160watts. Which wattage should I use if I have a golden greek? Also what are good brands? Zoomed? And how often do they need to be replaced? Thanks!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am a big fan of the powersun. Heat and uv all in one so it makes a great basking bulb.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
As far as watts go, I guess it will depend on the size of your enclosure and what other heating elemets you use if you go with the heat and uv bulb. I have a 100w but also have a che and a solar raptor uv light in my 6x3 enclosure for my sulcata. Keeps the basking areas at 100 and rest of area is in the 80's. This might be over heating for your greek.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
I am a big fan of the powersun. Heat and uv all in one so it makes a great basking bulb.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
As far as watts go, I guess it will depend on the size of your enclosure and what other heating elemets you use if you go with the heat and uv bulb. I have a 100w but also have a che and a solar raptor uv light in my 6x3 enclosure for my sulcata. Keeps the basking areas at 100 and rest of area is in the 80's. This might be over heating for your greek.
K thanks, I was actually just looking at that same light! I also have another basking bulb, so 100 watt should do it. Right now for my 5 inch (about that) I have a 4x2 enclosure(I know! It's too small) but I'll soon renovate him to a new bookshelf that I will soon buy, which is 6x2 so again, 100 watt should work. By the way, I've seen your profile picture before and I always think it's so funny! Russian torts are such climbers....

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
K thanks, I was actually just looking at that same light! I also have another basking bulb, so 100 watt should do it. Right now for my 5 inch (about that) I have a 4x2 enclosure(I know! It's too small) but I'll soon renovate him to a new bookshelf that I will soon buy, which is 6x2 so again, 100 watt should work. By the way, I've seen your profile picture before and I always think it's so funny! Russian torts are such climbers....

Yep got to love the russians spunk :) took her less then a min to do it, I just stood there with my mouth open!