Help with identifying this guy please

Status
Not open for further replies.

morloch

5 Year Member
E had someone drop this guy off at my work,,, any idea what species? Please help, thank you!

Attachments

• image-2478726473.png
    image-2478726473.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2844102930.png
    image-2844102930.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 101

ewam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Ca.
I have no clue what that is. All I can tell you is that it is a tortoise.
But I like the head coloring a lot. Where do you work where people drop off tortoises?

morloch

5 Year Member
Big ALS aquarium, or known as aquarium services, someone just left him , threatening to either take him or they would let it go,,, some people are heartless, has an ear abcess, on the other side, I thought it was a box turtle of some sort, only three back toes too!

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I believe it's some kind of Female Box turtle hybrid. Part Three toed, part Eastern box. I could be wrong, there are better experts here.

Reptile Underground sell hybrids of Three-toed, Ornate and Eastern Box turtles. I have not seen a picture and I really don't like the idea of hybrids, but I'd always take in a Box turtle.

Thank you for helping this girl out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like a 3 toed, but I could be thinking it is a hybrid the shell looks different.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
bobbymoore said:
i wish i got deals like that

I know that would be cool get get free torts like that except for the threatening part though.
I don't think it's a box turtle because the feet kinda looks like a torts feet but nails are short. I think box turtles don't have head head coloring and shell patterns like that.
But I am not an expert don't take my word for this I dont have any box turtles I have just seen a lot of pics. It could a type of box that I haven't seen before.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
fbsmith3 said:
I believe it's some kind of Female Box turtle hybrid. Part Three toed, part Eastern box. I could be wrong, there are better experts here.

Reptile Underground sell hybrids of Three-toed, Ornate and Eastern Box turtles. I have not seen a picture and I really don't like the idea of hybrids, but I'd always take in a Box turtle.

I agree ... Eastern/Three toed hybrid. Pretty little thing ... looks female to me as well.

She also looks pretty dry (probably the reason for the ear abscess as well.) Be sure to give her a good soak.

morloch

5 Year Member
She's beautiful and friendly! Loves worms and fruit! Want to find out more about her, so I can feed her properly, she's in a tank with plantation soil, water dish and a cave, she is VERY active,,I can't keep her but I have a good home lined up for her, but we did name her bella!

Thank everyone!! I soaked her for 30 min!! She actually goes in the water herself,,, and soaks for quite awhile,

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
If you could get moist Sphagnum moss for her and the person who takes her really should become a member of this forum. There is so much information here.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
morloch said:
She's beautiful and friendly! Loves worms and fruit! Want to find out more about her, so I can feed her properly, she's in a tank with plantation soil, water dish and a cave, she is VERY active,,I can't keep her but I have a good home lined up for her, but we did name her bella!

Thank everyone!! I soaked her for 30 min!! She actually goes in the water herself,,, and soaks for quite awhile,

She probably needs to go to the vet for the ear abscess as well. Where do you live?

morloch

5 Year Member
I'm in Pickering Ontario , she is going to the vet next week, I will definitely recommend this forum!!! I put moss in her cave, soaked it first, they are building her home first, miniature greenhouse in a greenhouse !! Lol

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Yes, I missed that. Ear abscess is a very serious problem. Get her to a Veterinarian who is familiar with reptiles.

gmarie808

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
fbsmith3 said:

I agree ... Eastern/Three toed hybrid. Pretty little thing ... looks female to me as well.

She also looks pretty dry (probably the reason for the ear abscess as well.) Be sure to give her a good soak.

Hi Kimber, what kind of box turtle is that as your avatar?:tort:

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
morloch said:
Big ALS aquarium, or known as aquarium services, someone just left him , threatening to either take him or they would let it go,,, some people are heartless, has an ear abcess, on the other side, I thought it was a box turtle of some sort, only three back toes too!

I have heard that three toeds can mate with Ornate box turtles since they are so closly related, however the offspring will most likely be sterile..but thats just what I heard...if it has only three toes than that's what it is since that is a character trait for the species....Why cant I get that lucky and have someone just drop one off with me?...Boy some ppl have all the luck!!:p
from the pic it looks to be a eastern box hybrid.....the markings are very similar
anyways...i could take it off your hands...if you wanted to mail it to me!!..lol:p:D;)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
it is most likely as others have said a three toe eastern hybrid. i also dont like the mixing of sp. but heyit happend and now you have an extremly unique turtle :) everything about her shouts three toe especially her toes : ) but the coloration on each scute is definatly eastern.

eastern three toe, eastern florida, eastern gulf, three toe gulf, hybrids all occur in nature. however i too have heard that it is not reccomended to mate an ornate of the western box turtle variety with any of the eastrn box turtle types : )

morloch

5 Year Member
She is beautiful, and already at a good home a while ago, I was so upset to part with her !! I didn't think I was ready for another large responsibility, but shortly after( seeing how upset I was) my boyfriend surprised me with even a larger responsibility,,, Morloch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.