Help with enclosure setup?

kmmmjjj

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413407023.255126.jpg

I read that you could cover 60% of the enclosure and that would help with keeping up the humidity. I will be placing the heat and UVB lamp at the end where it is open. Also the humidifier will be placed where the lamps are. Is my enclosure going to be safe for a baby red foot? And of course I will be putting in substrate so don't worry. This idea just popped into my head when I was thinking about ways to keep up humidity and I just want other people to say their opinions about this and maybe give me tips to make this better?

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I think it will be fine. I'm not sure about how well the humidity will hold, but I think you should put the humidifier at the end opposite of lamps so you can have a more humid area (like a humid hide) and the lights seem to dry out substrate way faster.

But in the future as he grows, you do know you'll need more room?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Heat rises so if you put it on the open end most will not stay inside. Best bet is to completely close it to keep heat and humidity inside.

— Gus

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Heat rises so if you put it on the open end most will not stay inside. Best bet is to completely close it to keep heat and humidity inside.

— Gus

Mines all the way open and heat stays fine, but my tortoise is an adult so ambient temp isn't needed to be 80+. But, basking spot stays about 95-100, and the other end stays about 75. All open, nothing covering what so ever.

Humidity holding is a completely different story, though.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Correct it will stay warm but I meant it will still escape. It won't be contained inside. You will be using more electricity to keep it warm. If you close it you trap the heat. If you set a Che to a thermostat that will do.

— Gus

kmmmjjj

I think it will be fine. I'm not sure about how well the humidity will hold, but I think you should put the humidifier at the end opposite of lamps so you can have a more humid area (like a humid hide) and the lights seem to dry out substrate way faster.

But in the future as he grows, you do know you'll need more room?

Oh yeh I will definitely be increasing the enclosure but for now since he/she is just a baby, I thought this would do. And thanks for the tip! I wasn't too sure about where to place the humidifier so this really helps!

kmmmjjj

— Gus

I heard about that too but I was confused about how the heat and UVB will be able to pass through?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I heard about that too but I was confused about how the heat and UVB will be able to pass through?
You put the heat and light inside the entire closed in enclosure.under the tarp or shower curtain or plexiglass or four oil, whatever you choose to use.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My enclosures are completely enclosed. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413414394.417290.jpg MVB and CHE mounted inside with the fogger coming in a whole towards the top side of the enclosure.