Help with baby please

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi everyone

Just wanted to ask a question about my Russian tortoise. I got him 2 weeks ago, he’s 10 months old and bought from a pet shop.

His vivarium is currently 34° on hot side and 24° cool side. 100% Coir bedding. Baths daily. 3 hides. Fed a leafy mix, green lettuce, lambs lettuce, occasional rocket or pak Choi, etc. Im mostly aware of the foods he’s not allowed but before I give him anything knew I always check multiple sources to see if he can have it or not. I refer to him as a boy because I feel as if he’s a boy.[emoji4]

So anyway, my question is, sometimes he closes his eyes and goes to sleep without burrowing, he does this throughout the day and is usually on the hot side. Is he just basking? He seems to take regular naps on the hot side and sometimes burrows but not much. He wakes up inbetween, he’s eating fine and is usually active and climbing in the afternoon/evenings. He seems healthy. He does a poo/urinates about every other day, sometimes daily. The napping is only been seen this past week he didn’t do it the first week but as there was a lot of changes going on I thought maybe now he has just settled in. Please advise me if this is healthy behaviour , I will attach a picture of him [emoji5] thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds to me like he's comfortable in his environment and willing to relax and doze off.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Sweet tort you have!! Nothing to worry about. My sierra did this all the time...she would then burrow under basking area.