HELP WHAT IS THIS TORT??

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Sorry but that vet has no clue about tortoises. You've got a yellow foot and torts don't shed there scutes unless they've been damaged. The white lines is most likely new growth. A picture would help us confirm this.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Thanks but as you can see that other person also thought they had a Yellowfoot and did turn out to be a Redfoot? As you know all torts dont look the same. Mine also does have that coloured plate at the end of the noise that all Redfoots have. Just wondered are their vets on here? Thanks ps I might have mis-under stood him about the shell

wolfkat

Hi,
Thanks for your story. It is really sad. Are you going to get another tort for Viva? How did you find out that she was really a Redfoot? Please tell me what your temps and humidity are? What is she in? Thanks again

As of right now I'm just focusing on Viva but I will more than likely get another tort down the road. I was told she was a redfoot than a yellowfoot and so I did some research and actually asked people on here and that's how I found out she is a redfoot. I thought she was a yellowfoot because of how yellow she is. I just had no idea because I was so new to the whole tort thing. Also I found out because of her nose scales I will attach a picture so you can see but that's what really gave it away. She has a large scale on the very front of her nose. A yellowfoot has two parallel scales running back on their nose with no large pre frontal scale. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430834265.557453.jpg

Another issue is that in my case Viva came from someone who really did not care for her correctly. She came to me with a severe case of shell rot and she has a little shell deformity (looks like something was laying on her shell causing the divot but it does not effect her one bit). Because of the shell rot I had a really hard time seeing the differences between a redfoot and yellowfoot's shell. For you this should not be a problem! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430834875.520791.jpg you can see the divot and it shows how the shell rot destroyed some of the side's of her shell.

Right now she is in a large storage bin but I am upgrading her to something larger (I will be building something). Her temps right now are constant 85, basking around 90, and under her hide is 75-80. She has a humidifier in her tank and her humidity ranges (I'm still struggling with this because my current set up is fairly open at the top but the upgrade will be a closed area) her's is around 60% but you will want it much much higher for your hatchling as I am trying to get Viva's up to at least 80% if not 90%.

wolfkat

Hi,
Thanks but as you can see that other person also thought they had a Yellowfoot and did turn out to be a Redfoot? As you know all torts dont look the same. Mine also does have that coloured plate at the end of the noise that all Redfoots have. Just wondered are their vets on here? Thanks ps I might have mis-under stood him about the shell

To clarify a vet never told me either way. I had no idea to take her to a vet until footy became sick (suspected he had a RI at first but that was not the case) and when she did go to the vet I already knew what she was.

Last edited:

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Just wondered my little guy spends alot of time in the hide? Is that ok? How would it get the UVB light then? And how can you take them outside to get good sunlight? I know you should not put them right on the grass but..do you put them in a box with a shady part? How long can they stay out in the sun for a baby? Thanks