HELP WHAT IS THIS TORT??

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
And you can get most of what you need at other stores, things are much more expensive at the pet store. If you do end up taking this little tortoise back pause for a little bit. Do some more research on here and see what you find. Have the enclosure all set up before you get your tortoise. But if you decide to keep him then do all you can for him. He is the innocent one and all of this. He just wants a good home.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
I understand all that and do feel real bad for the little guy. I just thought I was getting a Redfoot and had all the set up and read up on those. And Yellow foots are a little different care and they get HUGE I dont have room for that kind of tort? Dont forget this is my first tort. It seems Yellows are more touchy on humidity and temps Reds can be a little more forgiving?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They will stay around the same size for many many decades. It takes an extremely long time for yellow foots to get giant.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Am so pissed at PetSmart! So they are the very same care as a Redfoot? I tried reading up on them but you get over whelmed? Are the worth more and more rare?

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Like I said I would like to use the orcid bark that you get from a plant store but am worried about bugs then? That is an awful lot to cook up? What if I put co co fiber on the bottom and a thin layer of repti bark over? Thanks I was told cypress mulch is to poky for baby torts?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hi,
Am so pissed at PetSmart! So they are the very same care as a Redfoot? I tried reading up on them but you get over whelmed? Are the worth more and more rare?
Yep. Just a bit more humid. They originate from tropical South America. Yellow foots are just a bit more in depth in the forest where red foots are more on the outskirts of the dense forests and savanna. In captivity exact care will yield perfect results. They can and will eat more protein and carion. I've got some 13 year old ones that are same size as Redfoots raised from babies. They won't get giant any quicker or sooner. theyre awesome and less kept than Redfoots anyways so your outside of the box at least :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hi,
Like I said I would like to use the orcid bark that you get from a plant store but am worried about bugs then? That is an awful lot to cook up? What if I put co co fiber on the bottom and a thin layer of repti bark over? Thanks I was told cypress mulch is to poky for baby torts?
Taut should work perfect. You can use all of it actually and just mix it all together. Some sphagnum moss is great too. Holds moisture in as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi,
I understand all that and do feel real bad for the little guy. I just thought I was getting a Redfoot and had all the set up and read up on those. And Yellow foots are a little different care and they get HUGE I dont have room for that kind of tort? Dont forget this is my first tort. It seems Yellows are more touchy on humidity and temps Reds can be a little more forgiving?

YF tortoises don't necessarily get 'huge.' I have a male and 4 females and the are all the size of my two full grown RF females.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi All,
I was told to bring tort poo to test for worms? Does that mean its not healthy? How the hell would you de-worm a baby tort? Thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He's lovely, maybe not what you planned for but you are obviously a good carer and want to do your best for him, he's so lucky you chose him. I hope you can overcome your disappointment and decide to keep him regardless of what he is.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Thanks so much for your kind words about Sunny? I just got a new puppy 6 months ago turns out she is not what I was told either? lol She was from a puppy mill? God I think knows I have a soft spot for animals in need. I just changed his cage bottom and put the co co fiber on the bottom with a thin layer of repti bark. I did soak the co co fiber mind you but dam if it still not holding humidity? I think I might try the Zoo Med cypress mulch? And he is REALLY peeling like a sun burn his head and neck?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
All tortoises should be checked for parasites. Nothing abnormal about it. To be technical they all have them it's just if they have to many they need to be treated. When my tortoise had parasites my vet gave me some medication that was thick, sort of like honey. I spread it on a leaf of Romain lettuce and rolled it up like a burrito and a hand fed it to my tortoise.
Read your other post about how to add more humidity. Keeping the heat above 80 around the clock is vital to keep your tortoise healthy. You cannot have cold temperatures and wet environment or he will get a respiratory infection. Your power son should work great for the day and then use a CHE at night. Cover as much of the top of the enclosure as you can but leave the space directly under the power son and CHE open.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I did get a 60w ceramic heat coil and had to take it off it got the temp over 100 at night so I put the night vision one back on it left it at about 80-81 all night. There is no store that sells a lower watt ceramic one around here? And I was also told they can not see in the spectrum of light. Thanks