HELP!! WHAT HAVE WE FOUND?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
SOOOO ANY help is greatly appreciated! What should I do? He hates being confined, hasn't eaten anything and does nothing but try to climb out. I have seen no ads out, no one missing one but us. Any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LadyV said:
Candy...look at the last pic....you can see all four little toes

A three-toed box turtle only has three toes on its BACK feet.

Try offering this turtle something live, like a night crawler. You can buy them in bait shops. Here in Calif. Wal-mart sells night crawlers in their fishing department. Also, Petsmart carries them.

If you're planning to keep the turtle, or can't find its owner, build him the biggest outdoor habitat you can afford to build. With lots of hiding places, capped corners and plenty of shade. You can put down a plate of fruit and veggies, but also offer live food on top of that.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
emysemys .......What about the cold weather...it's already down to 40 here and will get much colder

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Yep, everything Yvonne said.

I have had boxies eat just about anything. Worms for sure, crickets ,beetles, snails, chicken and fish meat plus fruit (as Yvonne said) to include strawberries, blue berries, raspberries, bananas, apple, pear, watermelon, cantaloupe.

Some are more picky than others.

Lots of things to try for a box turtle. Variety is key.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We always say that if the turtle/tortoise is new to you, you shouldn't allow it to hibernate for the first winter he spends with you. So, if you end up keeping this turtle, you'll need to set him up indoors. If you can find a Christmas Tree Storage bin, that would be a great indoor habitat for a full grown box turtle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YUUOH0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

But you have to realize that he's not going to be happy being contained. He's going to drive you crazy walking the perimeter and trying to climb out. It will take time for him to settle down, but once he does, you're just going to enjoy the heck out of him! Box turtles are so people oriented and I guarantee you will grow to love him and his antics.

Live food!! That'll turn him around.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Thanks! Will do! Right now he is a large plastic storage. It is what I initially started out with for Bella when she was smaller. Hubby is taking him out daily and letting just crawl around but you have watch him like a hawk as after a while he starts trying to bury himself. He isn't at afraid of my dogs or cats, or my Squirrel.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
We found the owners....they put an ad out in our little local paper/flyer......it was a little old lady that almost started crying when she saw him :) I'm so glad they were able to be back together!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.