HELP!! WHAT HAVE WE FOUND?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
I live Winslow AZ. This this turtle was found just walking along the sidewalk. What type of turtle is this so I can properly care for it
turtle4.jpg

turtle3.jpg

turtle2.jpg

turtle1.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
What do you guys think? desert box turtle. I don't see any coloring on it to say 3 toe, right now I am saying desert box, but I could be wrong, I am sure danny will ID 100 %,

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
No...there's four toes...

Is this him?
http://www.wildlifenorthamerica.com/Reptile/Desert-Box-Turtle/Terrapene/ornata-luteola.html

This turtle has red eyes meaning it would be a male if this is what it is. Eats plants and insects

How much water does it need? How often to feed? what about hibernation?

what should I keep him in and how can I estimate how old he is? His shell looks pretty rough to me, as if he had a hard life. He's filthy...can I rinse him off? I only had mt little darling Russian, Bella, that is lost (see lost and found)

Any way to know how old this guys is?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that does look like the same guy to me, a standard box turtle diet should suffice. Live food: worms and other bugs plus a variety of fruits and vegetables. I usually provide mine will plenty of water, a nice big dish. red eyes usually indicate males.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :) You have found a male Desert box turtle, Terrapene ornata luteola. He's probably 30 or 40 years old.

Danny

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
What can I do to help him? He doesn't look healthy. His shell is beat up and areas are peeling, some areas look like a part has been peeled off? He won't eat, but I'm thinking right now it's because he is scared?

M

Maggie Cummings

Make a habitat for him and clean him up. He will probably benefit from a long soak, and a drink. Warm him up, then offer him berries, melons, or worms. Crickets are a favorite food source. I feed nightcrawlers and superworms also, they can't/won't refuse something that wiggles...

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
I have offered him a mixture of cilantro/carrots/cucumber...he won't touch anything...he just keeps trying to crawl out. Do I soak just a little as I did with Bella (Russian) or do I bring the water up on him more. I'll be going into Flagstaff tomorrow and can get crickets or something....I live in Winslow and there is nothing here...just moved here about a month ago...VERY different!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Laura. I'm pretty sure the Luteola is native to Arizona, so, he's a wild turtle and there might be laws covering whether or not you can pick him up. I'd put him back where you found him. Box turtles are very territorial and he'll spend a lot of time trying to get back to his territory. Is there an uninhabited area near where you found him where you can let him go?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If he has been living in the wild for 30 - 40 years, and he looks VERY old to me, I don't think he will ever adjust to living in a small enclosure. He was wild and free for all those years.....isn't there any way that you could put him back closest to where he was found?

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
We have recently lost our Russian and I have placed an ad in the local "newspaper" there is no real newspaper here, it is called "The Scoop" and comes out 3 days a week....literally everyone reads it as it is the only one here...that's how I ended up today with the box turtle...someone called and had found him walking down the sidewalk and called me from seeing the ad. There is only one place to shop here and that is a super Wal-Mart...he was walking down the side walk over by the Wal-mart...now, the Wal-Mart does sit near the edge of desert.....I guess he could of some reason came in from the desert. BUT...what if someone had him and let him go? I don't know what to do! I didn't find him, someone else did and they had him a bath tub, they called us because they saw the ad, I took him because they didn't know what they were doing and weren't' going to learn what to do

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow you guys are good because I thought that it was a three toed for sure, but looked a little dry to me. What is a desert box turtle? I've never heard of one. Is it a cross between a DT and a three toed box turtle? :(

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Candy...look at the last pic....you can see all four little toes

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Don't try and replace your russian with a wild box turtle. My advice is to call an animal shelter or animal control to help relocate him.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
movealongmosey Wow...you can't "replace" any family member with another! Bella is/was a very sweet little thing with her own distinct personality

movealongmosey Wow...you can't "replace" any family member with another! Bella is/was a very sweet little thing with her own distinct personality

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
This is sombodys escaped pet. The desert box turtles range is nowhere near Winslow, probably a 4 to 5 hr drive or more.

If you let him go in this part of the State he will die, period. There is no suitable habitat anywhere near Winslow, for a box turtle, I have lived there.

Although they are protected in the wild, there are many that are in captivity through adoption programs.

Please try and find his owner or give him the best home you can.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
CGKeith...this is what we were afraid of. He looks in bad shape. so he may of been lost for awhile. There are no houses really anywhere near the Wal-Mart where he was found walking down the sidewalk....no other ads other than ours, no flyers out or anything.

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
I apologize I have no room to judge. The thing is you've mentioned bella quite a bit, and it kind of seems like your trying to "fill the void". I'm sorry you lost your russian I pray thats she's returned to you.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
movealongmosey...not trying to replace, as mentioned above, you can't. We recently had to euthanize our old companion dog, Roxie, just last week....but If I came across a dog in need and lost I certainly wouldn't just leave it there lost and alone, just because I recently lost one mine....he was living in a bath tub with people who live in a motel!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.