Help!!! UVB Problem

wuddybunny

Location (City and/or State)
Manila
Hello again! I was able to buy a Reptisun 5.0 T8 tube (it is the only one available aside from the spiral and compact ones) for my red foot but apparently, I cannot find any fixture to mount it on! I’ve already been to 3 of the bigger hardwares here and they all said the same thing.. the old-school T8 fluorescent mounts have been discontinued and they are now only selling LED ones. Out of desperation, I purchased a 125w MVB instead. That was working well up until I realized that it is making the basking area too hot (103-110F). I am hoping for a UVB light that won’t give out heat as it is hot here already.. Given the risk of using spiral ones and compact ones.. Any other suggestions?

For the meantime, little Tuna has some supervised direct sun time after lunch.. But I won’t be able to do that when I have work.:(

Thanks.

Sa Ga

MN
Zilla and Zoo Med sell hoods specifically for those tubes. If you don't have a Petsmart or a Petco near you, I'm sure Amazon will!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Here, Walmart and Home Depot have them.
I've used them for decades.
But in the Philippines.....I just don't know.
A few hours of sun per week is sufficient.
Did you get an 18" T8 tube? 24" or 32"?

Attachments

• 20190922_130706.jpg
    20190922_130706.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why do you need indoor UV when you live in the tropics?

wuddybunny

Manila
Zilla and Zoo Med sell hoods specifically for those tubes. If you don't have a Petsmart or a Petco near you, I'm sure Amazon will!
Thanks! I’ll try to order from Amazon but international delivery here is terrible!?

wuddybunny

Manila
Here, Walmart and Home Depot have them.
I've used them for decades.
But in the Philippines.....I just don't know.
A few hours of sun per week is sufficient.
Did you get an 18" T8 tube? 24" or 32"?
An 18in one.. The only housing they have in Ace Hardware here for a T8 is 48in.

wuddybunny

Manila
Be careful with that heat.
Temperatures anywhere near 100 will kill your Redfoot if he can't escape into a cooler area.
Got it.. I was able to swap the 125w MVB to an 80w one. Temp readings this afternoon was mid-90s. I am assuming it will be higher during noon. I placed the MVB on the opposite end.. My tortoise hid to his hide in the cooler side, which is around high-70s. I do hope my timers and thermostat would arrive soon..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your tortoise gets a couple hours of real UVB from the sun a week, you won't need a UVB light indoors.

You can buy the fixtures for your bulb at lightyourreptiles.com

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have to keep him indoor because of stray cats that roam the garden. But when I’m home, I do get him out. It’s mainly for the days when I have to leave at 5:30am and return at night.:)
I've got LOTS of stray cats here, too.
They don't bother with my tortoises.
(Dogs would)
How big is your tortoise?

Sa Ga

MN
I wouldn't take the chance though... all it takes is one with a taste for tortillas!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have to keep him indoor because of stray cats that roam the garden. But when I’m home, I do get him out. It’s mainly for the days when I have to leave at 5:30am and return at night.:)
I also live in the tropics (Jamaica in the Caribbean) and my redfoots, almost four years old, live outdoors, but they are protected from predators with a cover of wire mesh and half of the enclosure is covered with boards. They get natural sunlight every day that it's sunny, but they can move into the shade any time.