Help! Trying not to freak out!

moriah2971

Location (City and/or State)
MS
We just changed our turtles substrate from organically soil to Cypress mulch purchased from Lowe’s. I tried to find Orchid bark from 4 stores and no one even knew what I was talking about. My daughter took the tortoise outside for sun and came back inside and he had these baby insects in a clutter on his leg! What is this?! Was this from the cypress substrate or outside? I live in north MS if that helps with any information. I’m attaching a picture. They are so tiny. Trying not to freak out.

DE685396-F3ED-4297-807E-556A4ACEBBFF.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Probably came from outside. Just set the little guy in some water and hopefully any more passengers will just float away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can put the bark in a 5 gallon bucket and fill it up with water. Just let it sit there in the sun for a few hours. Any unwanted bugs will float to the top.

moriah2971

MS
Probably came from outside. Just set the little guy in some water and hopefully any more passengers will just float away.
We soaked the Cyprus bark in hot water outside in the sun and then put back in tank. He had some more on him. The water and sun didn’t kill them. They are super tiny red/brown bugs and they stick to him. What should I do? Is this some sort of safe bug killer I can use?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The world is full of bugs. The South has a huge monopoly on most of them! :)

There is no safe pastiche to use on your tortoise. Step number one is to ID the bug. Can you get a clear close up pic? Maybe take the bugs to a local nursery for ID help?

There really are not many insects that will mess with captive tortoises. Not a big concern in most cases.

moriah2971

MS
They are SO tiny and reddish brown. They are truly so small that’s it’s hard to get a close up. But yes... in the south we are full of bugs. I wouldn’t be concerned so much if they weren’t actually on him and they were like sticking to him. It’s so strange. Super tiny and shinny- similar time a flea but round.

Attachments

• F980EF48-14DE-4EE7-ABA0-8D46E90AFF3F.png
    F980EF48-14DE-4EE7-ABA0-8D46E90AFF3F.png
    581.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 1BADE9F9-E9A9-4B05-9641-EB3DC8BA3345.png
    1BADE9F9-E9A9-4B05-9641-EB3DC8BA3345.png
    557.2 KB · Views: 47

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Consider contacting your local county Cooperative Extension Service office for help figuring out what those insects are (you can probably bring them a sample) and what they recommend to safely deal with them. IF you need to deal with them. They may be able to set your mind at ease and confirm whether it's even a biting type of bug or not. Just make sure any potential remedy is completely tortoise safe before you use it.

moriah2971

MS
Consider contacting your local county Cooperative Extension Service office for help figuring out what those insects are (you can probably bring them a sample) and what they recommend to safely deal with them. IF you need to deal with them. They may be able to set your mind at ease and confirm whether it's even a biting type of bug or not. Just make sure any potential remedy is completely tortoise safe before you use it.
Thank you! Yes, I’ve got to figure out what these are and if they are harmful

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you! Yes, I’ve got to figure out what these are and if they are harmful
I seriously doubt any harm will come to your tortoise from those little bugs. I am not sure what thy are called, but I have used Cypress mulch for 20 years or more and seen them in it from time to time. My tortoises never had any trouble from them.

Also another thought: the natural habitats of tortoises are not sterile environments. Do you think tortoises in the wild would never encounter various bugs/insects? The state of FL banned the sale of sulcatas years ago because some of the imported ones had ticks on them. If those bugs you found were ticks, that would be of more concern than the bugs you found.

I'm sure this comment will generate plenty of response, but will mention it anyway since you asked about ways of getting rid of the bugs. If you are truly hoping to eliminate them, you might try an item called a Hotshot Pest Strip. It is a yellow chemical bar or strip which you put in a plastic holder and hang it over the area where you want to kill bugs. You can buy them in hardware stores. They used to be called Shell No Pest Strips. In the old days, we used to cut the the yellow bars into smaller pieces and put them on the side walls of the enclosures (out of reach of tortoises) with tape. I have used them for at least 30-40 years with no harmful effects to my tortoises or snakes.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
The state of FL banned the sale of sulcatas years ago because some of the imported ones had ticks on them.
I don't remember us (former affiliation) banning the sale of anything... The import ban was a federal decision. :)

That was in the long ago when I worked for FDACS-DAI. I don't know if you ever had occasion to meet Dr. Coffman, but I was his assistant.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I don't remember us (former affiliation) banning the sale of anything... The import ban was a federal decision. :)

That was in the long ago when I worked for FDACS-DAI. I don't know if you ever had occasion to meet Dr. Coffman, but I was his assistant.
For some reason, I thought the state of FL was involved in that. Not wanting to introduce ticks to the numerous cattle in the state. However, not having had sulcatas since 1980, I am a bit out of the loop on the exact info. Their importation WAS banned, though, am I right on that score at least?

No, I never had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Coffman.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
For some reason, I thought the state of FL was involved in that. Not wanting to introduce ticks to the numerous cattle in the state. However, not having had sulcatas since 1980, I am a bit out of the loop on the exact info. Their importation WAS banned, though, am I right on that score at least?

No, I never had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Coffman.
The state of FL was involved because the feds were kind enough to invite us to their meetings. Especially the "tick symposium" they held in our backyard.

Florida's reptile industry figured things out pretty quick. If FWC had a meeting, they showed up with attorneys. When FDACS had a meeting, it was like "a backyard picnic." Those last couple sentences, I'm pretty much quoting a prominent member of the reptile industry.

Yes, the importation of sulcatas and leopard tortoises was banned... Which you may not want @Tom discussing if he's having a bad day. ;) (Sorry, Tom.)

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
@moriah2971 I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your thread a little bit. It's my background with agriculture and animal industry that leads me to give such strong endorsements of the Cooperative Extension Service. There are many researchers, especially at the land grant universities, that are tied in with the Cooperative Extension Service. Where you are, you've probably seen publications out of Clemson, maybe others.

Those researchers who are tied in with the Cooperative Extension Service are often the ones leading the way for farmers of all types (animal and plant industries) for BETTER, more efficient and effective practices, and for industry Best Management Practices. The Cooperative Extension Service also provides useful information and guidance to homeowners the general public on a wide variety of topics. If your county has a Master Gardener program, this is the entity that runs it.

moriah2971

MS
It’s totally fine. I was just concerned b/c they were stuck to his leg and some on underneath of the shell. They are hard to get off and they weren’t just roaming the enclosure. We live in a small town in north MS. We have about 5,000 population. I doubt we have CES. I might could contact one that’s in a larger city outside of my town. Thanks for the information. I just want to be certain they aren’t harmful. If I see anymore on him I was going to heat the substrate in the oven.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
It’s totally fine. I was just concerned b/c they were stuck to his leg and some on underneath of the shell. They are hard to get off and they weren’t just roaming the enclosure. We live in a small town in north MS. We have about 5,000 population. I doubt we have CES. I might could contact one that’s in a larger city outside of my town. Thanks for the information. I just want to be certain they aren’t harmful. If I see anymore on him I was going to heat the substrate in the oven.
If there's a 4-H program, FFA, or Farm Bureau nearby, they would know where to find your local CES.

Spring Hill Florida
They are SO tiny and reddish brown. They are truly so small that’s it’s hard to get a close up. But yes... in the south we are full of bugs. I wouldn’t be concerned so much if they weren’t actually on him and they were like sticking to him. It’s so strange. Super tiny and shinny- similar time a flea but round.
Are they red bugs? Those bugs that burrow into your skin.