help - tortoise losing weight.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
help i don't know what to do. sorry for the long post but i figured as much info as poss will help you to help me . i thought every thing was going well that was until this past few weeks, to be honest i wasn't overly concerned until i weighed him today. sparky has been a bit finicky with food and lazy for as long as i've had him i put this down to him being only a year or so old and his weight was stable at 47grams. but lately he's been very lazy. if i didn't take him out for a soak he wouldn't hardly move. i did think it could be him wanting to hibernate. i don't want him to as im not confidant. so i've kept his lights on and heat up. and i've been taking him out every day and soaking him. but he's lost 8 grams he feels so light and when i put him in his bath he seems buoyant i'msure if put him in deeper water he would float. his temps are the same as always 97 under his heat lamp and 75 ish at the cool end that's also about the average room temp . it only drops a couple degrees at night. even after his soaks he goes right back to where he's been hiding. i managed to get him to eat a few bites of squash but that's all. his eyes are as clear as always no runny nose or any thing els obvious. he's pooped (not much tho) witch looked fine. i assume him not eating much explains the lack of them. his uv light light is fairly new a t5 ho 6%. 13ich above him with a reflector so his enclosure is nice and bright. that's every thing i can think of that might help. can any one recommend how to boost his appetite/ activity level or any thing that might help. i don't know how much weight he can afford to lose before it becomes dangerous. if it helps he's about 65mm long. thanks

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Have you tried Mazuri? The old formula is still sold on Mazuris website and seems to be a favorite. Its also a good weight gainer.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
Have you tried Mazuri? The old formula is still sold on Mazuris website and seems to be a favorite. Its also a good weight gainer.

thanks for the reply i've tried to find it but seems we don't have it in the uk. are any of the other makes worth a try? komodo seems to be the most common and then t-rex, i've never fed any thing other than weeds and flowers.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
help i don't know what to do. sorry for the long post but i figured as much info as poss will help you to help me . i thought every thing was going well that was until this past few weeks, to be honest i wasn't overly concerned until i weighed him today. sparky has been a bit finicky with food and lazy for as long as i've had him i put this down to him being only a year or so old and his weight was stable at 47grams. but lately he's been very lazy. if i didn't take him out for a soak he wouldn't hardly move. i did think it could be him wanting to hibernate. i don't want him to as im not confidant. so i've kept his lights on and heat up. and i've been taking him out every day and soaking him. but he's lost 8 grams he feels so light and when i put him in his bath he seems buoyant i'msure if put him in deeper water he would float. his temps are the same as always 97 under his heat lamp and 75 ish at the cool end that's also about the average room temp . it only drops a couple degrees at night. even after his soaks he goes right back to where he's been hiding. i managed to get him to eat a few bites of squash but that's all. his eyes are as clear as always no runny nose or any thing els obvious. he's pooped (not much tho) witch looked fine. i assume him not eating much explains the lack of them. his uv light light is fairly new a t5 ho 6%. 13ich above him with a reflector so his enclosure is nice and bright. that's every thing i can think of that might help. can any one recommend how to boost his appetite/ activity level or any thing that might help. i don't know how much weight he can afford to lose before it becomes dangerous. if it helps he's about 65mm long. also he's a russian thanks

puffy137

Hi Jeff, guess its getting chilly up in Cumbria. My Tortoises are used to days of 49*C , now we are down to 39*-40*C they have become lethargic.
The ones that do manage to rouse themselves from drowsiness will climb over each other to reach a Romaine lettuce leaf.:):):)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I looked through some old threads & found UK members use Komodo Dragon food instead of Mazuri...
Maybe look into it to see if it meets Russian diet requirements.
Mine has slow down too & I have been doing the same routine as you are. But mine is not a lil one so I am not too worried about the weight.
I will second the romaine thing. Its the only thing currently I can get her to nibble on so I have been sprinkling supplements onto that & pumkin.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
out side its around 12*c so what he's doing is normal? i'm still new to tortoise keeping. i only got him the beginning of march. thanks for the replies

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
If you look in the Russian section you will see many many post recently about Russians slowing down recently. The only concern I would have with yours would be what you pointed out about the weight since yours is young. I would keep doing what your doing & maybe expand into food offerings to tempt your guy. I would also add a can (or jar) of squash or carrot baby food to your soaking water to help get something in him.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
thanks alot, so relived to hear its normal :). i kind of assumed if not hibernating that keeping the lights and heat up that they would carry on as normal. i'll start adding squash and carrot food to the soaks. would adding blended weeds and flowers to the water be worth while?

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
thanks for the reply i've tried to find it but seems we don't have it in the uk. are any of the other makes worth a try? komodo seems to be the most common and then t-rex, i've never fed any thing other than weeds and flowers.

I believe Nutrazu is the UK equivalent of Mazuri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Mine has been getting 'lazy' too :p
I don't think greens would mix into the water well... just me :) Something you could do to help him eat normally would be to give him a carrot or something, shred it very finely, and springlike it over his greens... and as he's eating the (carrot) he'll get some greens too...
Hope he eats :D

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I just tricked mine into eating a mulberry leaf by wrapping romaine around it. Sprinkled with vitamins :)

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
firstly thankyou every one for the help its much appreciated. i couldn't find baby food that was just carrot or butternut squash it all had other ingredients, so i bought a butternut squash and made my own. i soaked him in it for about 20 mins. felt a bit like i was soaking him is soup lol. he was a bit more active after wards and even had some of the romanian lettuce. :D

M

Maggie Cummings

It's made by Purina.....Make sure you keep the light on from 12 to 13 hours a day and make sure you soak him and feed him daily....

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Many of them are influenced by the ambient daylight. Are you running the UVB light 14 hours a day?

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
his lights are on a timer and they stay on for 13hrs. should i increase it to 14?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That would be up to you. I run mine from 7am to 10 pm & have not changed it. I did increase ambient temps in the room though to increase heat.

Magilla504

To help keep my temps right, I close my air vents around my indoor enclosure . Seems to help

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
thanks. i'll increase it an hour see if it helps. he's still not eating much.a couple bites here and there. i'm going to continue the food soaks and keep offering him weeds ect just in case he decides to eat. that's if i can get rid of the darn slugs that are eating the winter food supply as fast as its growing. they seem hell bent on eating every thing in the green house grrr. time to order some diatomaceous earth me thinks