Tortoise weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

armelle

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm pretty new to the whole forum thing, and the tortoise thing too, about 3 months ago I got a 2 year old Hermann (flash) and absolutely love him to bits. I've been taking his details every month to see how his weight is. He started off at 98g and is 9x6cm, he hasn't grown much only about 2 mm and his weight had stayed the same but I weighed him today and he's lost 5g, I know that doesn't sound much but that's nearly 5% of his weight. I was wondering if this is normal or should I be worried. There has been no change in his personality, he's just as loving and lively as he usually is. I did have him outside for a bit in the summer but it's pretty cold in the uk now so have got him inside in a tortoise table, with heat and uv lights. Temps are about 35oc in the day and at night about 18 ( but I do put a blanket over the enclosure at night as it was getting a but cold). The light and uv are on for about 13 hours per day. When I first got him I took him to the vet to have him checked over. He said to feed him every other day as he was growing too quick, so I started to feed him every other day, but he just kept trying to eat everything all the time so I increased it to every day. I feed him home grown weeds and give him the odd bit of tomato, cucumber or strawberry. My vet told me not to hibernate him this year as he won't be big enough which is fine. He's been eating just as much as usual so I'm not sure how he is losing weight. He's pooing and weeing as normal and has a bath 3 times a week. Please can someone let me know if he's okay.? Also I'm not sure if he is actually a boy or a girl so if someone could let me know how to find out that would be much appreciated!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, perhaps he wee'd and poo'd prior to your weighing him? I would do a detailed track over a period of time of his weight and see what you find...maybe weight him the same time each day and then you will get a pattern of weight....:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with ascott. You would be amazed how much a poop will change their weight. I was shocked. Weighing him on a set time and pattern will help get more accurate weights. S/he is also probably too young to sex yet. You can post a couple picks of the underside tail area, and you can get some guesses. Just keep in mind, they would only be guesses,,that could change.

armelle

5 Year Member
Okay thanks, I did find a pretty healthy sized poo when I dug around a bit this morning so that was probably it. Ill wait until he (I'm going with he at the moment) is a bit older to find out the sex then. Thanks for your help, think I over worry about everything with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.