help tortise sleeping under the heat lamp all the time

Mammyjuls

Hi is it normal for a tortise to sleep under the heat lamp all the time ?

He is sleeping there during the day and all night is that normal or will he get too hot or burn ?

He has a hide but he is not sleeping in it should I move him and put him in his hide away from the heat lamp I am really concerned .

Please help

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic of the enclosure and give us all your temps and what you are reading those temps with. I'm guessing things are probably too cold. Be sure to measure temps at tort level and with a realiable source, not one of those cheap puck like temp and humdity gauges. Also what is the humidity?

Mammyjuls

Ok warm end 30.1 c and basking is 35.1 c
And cool end is 22.7 c

Using a temp gun

Humidity is 40

Mammyjuls

Ok here is pics my husband is just finishing of his new enclouser with he will be going into in the next week or so with is a lot bigger than this one

945JFy.jpg
b0TlZ6.jpg
tfnYCa.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic of e closure. Is it a large enough enclosure that she can be in the warmer end without having to be under the basking bulb? Maybe try bumping up the cooler end just a bit and see if that helps? A pic would really help us though.

Mammyjuls

I do have temp and humidity gage in enclouser but I also have a temp gun with is what I have checked with when I got the readings I put on here I use the temp gun every day

Mammyjuls

I could move her hide to the bottom end of the warmer end so he is not directly under the light do you think that might help ???

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Juls Do you have a uvb tube in there as well or are you using the controller with the CHE?

Mammyjuls

Yes got a uvb as well and also got the proper timer with keeps the temp the same so dos not get to hot or to cold and turns of the light at nigh
idWFtL.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is the CHE on a thermostat too - to switch that on and off and keep temps even?

Mammyjuls

Yes it is that's what I meant when said it can not get to hot or to cold have it set on the thermostat and I also keep checking the temp with the temp gun every day as well to make sure

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Those aren't the best temp and humidity gauges you have there. A good digital combined guage is often recommended.
What is your humidity Juls.

Mammyjuls

I have getting his humidity up to 60 now but it keeps dropping to 40 I am finding hard to keep it up you got any ideas to keep it up

Mammyjuls

Those aren't the best temp and humidity gauges you have there. A good digital combined guage is often recommended.
What is your humidity Juls.
A combined gauge have you got a pic or like to show me please