Help ! The eyes does not seem to open ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil

5 Year Member
I found this Star tortoise baby yesterday in my backyard... looks like 3-4 weeks old... his shell is weak and he has got some infection with his right eye.. the left eye looks perfect but he is not able to open them.. i tried basking him and then soaking in water and treating them with Gentamicine eye drops but they are still glued ... as we dont have much tortoise vets here any help would be greatly appreciated..,. :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
Well, holy moly that is a heck of a find in your yard! I don't keep Star's but I am sure someone will be by shortly to help. You can try baby food soaks and keep the little one nice and warm. What is your humidity like?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Neil:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!

Put the baby in a bit of warm water...not too deep, just so it comes up to the middle of the baby's sides. And let him soak there for 15 or 20 minutes. Do this every day. If you can buy liquid bird vitamins, you can add a few drops to his soaking water every day. Keep him warm and quiet.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

(May we know where you are?)

Neil

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
Well, holy moly that is a heck of a find in your yard! I don't keep Star's but I am sure someone will be by shortly to help. You can try baby food soaks and keep the little one nice and warm. What is your humidity like?

Thanks for the help ... :).. well humidity here is about 69%.. i just hope he does well...

emysemys said:
Hi Neil:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!

Put the baby in a bit of warm water...not too deep, just so it comes up to the middle of the baby's sides. And let him soak there for 15 or 20 minutes. Do this every day. If you can buy liquid bird vitamins, you can add a few drops to his soaking water every day. Keep him warm and quiet.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

(May we know where you are?)

hey Thanks for the tip... :)... i have started working on his soaking part.... :).. he feels kind of relaxed in there... and i am from India.. :)

Btw any idea how many days roughly it will take to open up his eyes ?? what should be the feed till then as he is not able to see anything around.. :(

Kailey

5 Year Member
I wish I could find something like that in my backyard! Good luck!!

Do you have any pictures?

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Torty Mom said:
You can try baby food soaks and keep the little one nice and warm.

Congrats on your find, I agree with Tory Mom about the baby food soaks.

Neil

5 Year Member
Kailey said:
I wish I could find something like that in my backyard! Good luck!!

Do you have any pictures?

:D ... will upload them soon... he is too adorable... i hope his eye problem gets solved soon..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you add liquid bird vitamins to the soaking water, it should take about 3 days for you to see an improvement. He probably won't eat until he can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.