Devastated please read/ help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoffy20

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, NY
dmmj said:
That is just it I don't know what happened, these are only guesses. I can't say if you did or did not do something that caused it. I am just saying it looks like to me that it could have been something toxic. Lets say hypothetically it was something from the farmers market (my most likely suspect) how could you have known something was wrong? You can't test all the food that comes in. As for getting another tortoise that is something only you can answer for yourself. When people who own a tortoise (their first one) some people try again right away, others wait a while and some never try again, no answer is right or wrong. I realize these answers may not be helping much but they are the only ones I can give you right now.

This is true. thank you for your help.

Laura said:
can you look into his mouth? He either choked or it was something sudden like a heart attack.
do you have any history on him? age?

I did look but didnt see anything in there. there was a puddle of green slime behind him which i assume is vomit because it looks as if there is partially chewed/ digested greens in it. He was purchased from petco and was 6 inches long from head to rear. Id put him at 5-6 years age.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I am so sorry that he passed. I lost a tortoise that I had for many years, and I still feel sick over it. I say, bleach out his tank, change everything he came in contact with and buy a new cb tortoise. Your tortoise was most likely wc, and you really don't know how old he was, or if he was sick when you bought him. I would buy a cb young tortose from a good breeder and start over again. I believe that you only had him for a month? I would reach out to the petco and tell them that they sold you a sick tortoise. Maybe they will replace him with a cb redfoot. You take good care, you did nothing wrong. Tortoises can hide a illness for a long time. Again, I am so sorry.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am sorry this happened to the two of you. From the reading, it does not sound like you did anything that should have caused his death. I would go to Petco and see if they would atleast sale you a replacement Russian at a reduced price. I do think you should (once the enclosure is cleaned and your ready for it) get another Russian. Hopefully that Russian might be from working with Petco over the loss of this one. Once more sorry and *hugs*

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for your loss. It is very sad. I don't think you did anything wrong. Everything, food, set up, etc. all sounds good. He was probably wild caught. He may have come to you sick or as mentioned may have had a heart attack. Sounds like what you think is vomit, could actually be poo, discharged when he died. Sometimes, even with the best care, things happen and we just don't know why.
Good luck in your decision whether to get another one or not. If this will help you in deciding, sounds like you had everything right with this one.

Scoffy20

5 Year Member
New York, NY
Thanks again everyone, It was diffiently rough waking up not seeing him moving about but Thank you for all of your advice and kind words. I feel another RT would better suit my situation then a CB redfoot only because of the amount of space I have available at this point and the amount of knowledge I have for RT vs RF. Also I think I will try to speak to a petco rep even though I signed a contract with them releashing them of all responasbilites after 15 days.....corperate america..maybe they will have simpathy, if not does anyone know of a place that might sell CB RT?

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
I am sorry for your loss. I think you should get another tort, it sounds like what ever killed your tort is not your fault.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My heart is so heavy with sadness for the two of you. It is a rough thing when you obtain a wc tort. Stress can create such havoc in a tortoise. I do not think that you did any particular thing to create this situation, especially since you two have been together such a short amount of time.

I can guess a bunch of stuff that "could have" gone awry, but what benefit would this have? None. I believe that Rex likely was extremely stressed, I believe he was a wc and unfortunately they are treated like less than living creatures during their capture, holding and shipping---stress is near lethal to a tortoise, especially if the stress is for any length of time...

Should you get another tortoise? I believe that only you can offer that answer. Should you punish yourself for Rex's passing by not hooking up with a tort in need....no, that would just be silly---you know?

Perhaps you can look into a rescue group to see if they have any torts you can match up with....Russians and Greeks are good size, however, Russians are a tort that thrive really really well if they are set up for an outdoor enclosure as their primary daily space...Greeks are about the same size and yet they are a better tort to have that will have more indoor time than out door time...they have relatively low humidity requirements and perhaps may do better for you....please do obtain one from a captive bred and captive born environment.....this will cut down on the stress of capture from the wild and horrific shipping practices....

Please understand, that this is simply what my heart is telling me....you did what you could for Rex, he knew he had a partner in his day and I am sure he, in the realm of a tortoise, appreciated what you represented to him....and you in turn love him....that is a great thing on both sides.....

I would suggest though, strongly, that you use an entirely different enclosure and new furnishings/plants...I say this because if you get a captive bred/born tortoise and place him into an enclosure than can harbor any any any type of bacteria or parasite then not only can any new tortoise be exposed but if you do get a different species that is a double whammy....this is of course based on my OCD to error on the side of caution....

One other suggestion would be to not use that type of substrate....I know lots of folks like it and use it....however, I would suggest a peat moss or coco coir in place of that...especially since torts enjoy digging into the earth itself....just bet it feels much more comfy....

EKLC

5 Year Member
That is such sad news. From your posts I know you are a very concerned and capable keeper. I do not think this is something you could have prevented. I think you and Rex are victims of the uninformed and uncaring pet trade. I hope this does not deter you from future tortoises, who would be in luck to fall in good hands. RIP Rex.

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
Awww this is sad. Don't blame yourself. Don't think there would of been anything you could of done. You obviously was sold a sick tortoise :(. Don't give up having another tortoise they won't all be the same and it won't replace him. But you will enjoy the rewards of having another. Bless you. Good luck on your new tort. Xxxx

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He is a WC tortoise and not all WC tortoises acclimate well because its a very stressful process. Dont be down on yourself because he died because some of the most well known well thought of tort keepers have lost plenty of CB and WC tortoises. Torts just end up dying sometimes and it sucks. I would look into a CB russian baby due to your indoor constraints and experience with the species. And I'm sorry for your loss, its never easy seeing something you care about die. Good luck on whatever you decide!

krb1093

5 Year Member
So sorry! obviously You didn't mean to cause the death. Really it's just a guessing game on what happened and you'll prolly never know. Just know you tried your best. It seems you cared for the little guy. Try not to blame yourself.

Scoffy20

5 Year Member
New York, NY
Thanks everyone. I'm Finally feeling some closure. I've bleached down everything in Rex's Terrarium and contacted PETCO. To my disbelief they handled the situation very respectfully. Because of the contracts they make you sign when purchasing their larger pets, I was unable to receive cash back, but I was given the option to either select another Tort or get the value of the tort in store credit. I opted for the store credit as I am still nervous about getting another Tortoise form the big chains and i still need time to make adjustments to my habitat (substrate/lighting/size). Id much rather a cb this time but finding a breeder that is closer to me is hard as I am nervous about shipping. Thanks again for all of the support from you all. TFO is a great site and I'll still be reading and posting as I search for a new companion.

Dawn2

5 Year Member
Our condolences to you and your wife. We lost our WC marginated Herbie a few months ago and know exactly how you feel. He had an eye problem as well and the culture from the vet determined pneumonia. Sometimes they can carry illness for a long time and do not show as it would make them more vulnerable to attack in the wild. There isn't a lot I can say that will help you feel better but it does hurt less with time. A month or so after our Herbie passed, we ended up finding a CB Herman's and dearly love him as much! We also still have Herbie's brother Marble (both rescues). I concur with the suggestion for you to try and find a CB baby. Rescues are wonderful and rewarding if you prepare yourself that no matter what you do, you could still end up losing your pet. On the other hand, seeing them become beautiful, happy and thriving is something special in itself. Good luck to you!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Scoffy20 said:
Thanks again everyone, It was diffiently rough waking up not seeing him moving about but Thank you for all of your advice and kind words. I feel another RT would better suit my situation then a CB redfoot only because of the amount of space I have available at this point and the amount of knowledge I have for RT vs RF. Also I think I will try to speak to a petco rep even though I signed a contract with them releashing them of all responasbilites after 15 days.....corperate america..maybe they will have simpathy, if not does anyone know of a place that might sell CB RT?

I believe that Tyler www.tortoisesupply.com has cb RT. Check his website. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.