Help! Sulcata Tortoise lower beak

Lexnau

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Help!

My little guy has done something to his lower beak. (PICTURE ATTACHED) , I don't know how or what is going on with it. Any help please, his vet is not open till Monday and I'm worrying like crazy if he will be okay till then .

Attachments

• PXL_20240128_024230527.jpg
    PXL_20240128_024230527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240128_024256984.jpg
    PXL_20240128_024256984.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi, as mentioned it has overgrown and cracked.

Options are.... search for a local reptile shop as they may have someone experienced to trim
Wait for your vet
Try to get an emery nail board to remove any sharp edges if you can.
When you get appointment get claws and both upper and lower beaks checked and manicured.
Afterwards....
Add calcium to the fresh food to help strong bone, claw and beak growth.
Annually arrange a manicure for claws and beak if required.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What size and age is your tortoise, and please tell us what his enclosure conditions are, and what size? Also, don't overdo the calcium. What is his diet? If you try to answer these questions, our experts will be best able to help. Thanks!

Lexnau

Phoenix, Arizona
What size and age is your tortoise, and please tell us what his enclosure conditions are, and what size? Also, don't overdo the calcium. What is his diet? If you try to answer these questions, our experts will be best able to help. Thanks!
He's about a pound and a half about 6 in wide and about 5 in tall.
His enclosure is a. Zoomed tortoise house, the soil in the inside it is zoomed eco earth mixed with jungle dirt mixed with zoomed reptile bark fir. I have the zoomed powersun 100 w lighting, and his humidity stays at 50 to 60% with his temperature within the low 80s during night and high 80s during day.
His diet is mostly collie greens, he gets dru desert flower mix on top, he gets romaine lettuce on occasion to switch it up and he also uses the tortoise salad dressing for his calcium weekly.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Maggie3fan should be able to help you. Her sulcatas has issues with the beak as well.

Lexnau

Phoenix, Arizona
Help!

My little guy has done something to his lower beak. (PICTURE ATTACHED) , I don't know how or what is going on with it. Any help please, his vet is not open till Monday and I'm worrying like crazy if he will be okay till then .
An update for everyone , took my little one to the vet. They wanted to sedate them in order to do his big trim as well to add some bonding to the crack.
Putting my little one under sedation really worried me so I followed a couple of different people's threads and saw that I could try to do it myself and moved into a soft diet and here's his results.

Attachments

• PXL_20240224_195950216.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240224_195950216.PORTRAIT.jpg
    716.9 KB · Views: 2

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
He's about a pound and a half about 6 in wide and about 5 in tall.
His enclosure is a. Zoomed tortoise house, the soil in the inside it is zoomed eco earth mixed with jungle dirt mixed with zoomed reptile bark fir. I have the zoomed powersun 100 w lighting, and his humidity stays at 50 to 60% with his temperature within the low 80s during night and high 80s during day.
His diet is mostly collie greens, he gets dru desert flower mix on top, he gets romaine lettuce on occasion to switch it up and he also uses the tortoise salad dressing for his calcium weekly.
Ok, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you CANNOT keep a sulcata in a tortoise house. You cannot even keep a RUSSIAN in a tortoise house. They are called that for marketing purposes, but its literally like keeping them a prison cell. Much Much Much to small.

This thread is what happens (in part) to tortoises kept in too small enclosures: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/it-should-never-get-this-bad.211827/

Please read this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954 and forget about everything you learned online, or from pet stores, or youtube. Please!