Russian tortoise split beak

Jemma

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada, Iowa
My husband and I adopted an older Russian tortoise who had a severely overgrown beak. The rescue took her to the vet who trimmed the upper and lower beak. The upper beak is split into the growth plate. The vet sedated her to see how far the break was and to do trim. Cultures were done to verify the break was caused by the lower beak pushing up on the upper beak and not a fungal infection. The vet placed an acrylic cover to provide additional structural support to her upper beak. This is first picture attached. After 6 months, the acrylic cover has fallen off (second photo). Unfortunately, the vet who originally performed the procedure has retired. We are in the process of finding a new veterinarian who has experience with tortoises.

The tortoise does not seem to be bothered by the missing acrylic and is eating like normal. I am curious if anyone has experience using an acrylic cover on thehook split beak for structural support. Thank you in advance!

20200209_155040.jpg20200525_145441.jpg

Reactions: Ink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just keep those two pointed tips clipped off to help keep the beak from spreading when he bites down. If it doesn't seem to bother him, and if he's eating ok, then leave it be.